• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to reach higher memory clocks?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Virus

Registered
Someone on another forum told me making my RAM run at cas 2, default for it is 2.5, will reduce my abilty to reach a high fsb than if I just kept it at 2.5. I don't know mush about oc'ing, so, is this true?

Yes in theory.
Motherboard's are not all equal nor is memory but as a general rule yes.
However running 150fsb at cas2 may be faster than running 160fsb at cas 2.5.

So should I just find the most aggresive stable memory settings first, then find the highest fsb?

Virus said:
So should I just find the most aggresive stable memory settings first, then find the highest fsb?

You can do it that way or vice versa. Just record test results from benchmarking so you can find the medium that gives you the best performance overall.

Thanks, how much over default voltage can typical ram take? I have Kingmax 2700.

2.7=100% safe.
2.8 ok with heat spreader's or very good air flow.
This is just my opinon as running it at a higher voltage may be possible but I am not going to test it.

The kingmax 2700 (5ns) I have seems to max out at 2.8v as the top speed at cas2 only increased 4mhz fsb going from 2.7 to 2.8v.

Back