• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MS "virtual memory" question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

crazyman

I will have 512 mg ddr or a gig of it ,if I have 512 what is a good amount to put the virtual memory at,and what if I have a gig of it?
pc2100 ddr.

I am still gathering the parts.(all new)

so far I have
ahtlon 1700xp
SOYO dragon+ mobo
ASUS 52x cdrom
TEAC 3.5 floppy
Antec JET COOL cpu cooler
Antec SX840 400 wt full tower
all rounded ide/floppy cables

will be getting
512 mg ddr pc2100(later add 512 more)
a good 40 gig hd
ATI rage 7200 or prophet 4500 agp,(not sure which card yet,this board has an AGP pro slot)some good 64 meg vid card,any suggestions?

What OS are you planning on running? With 98SE you will need to set her up a bit to accept more than 512Mb & W2K/XP/PRO will have no problems with a lot of memory.

Virtual Memory/Swap File is slow 'cause it will use your HD like RAM. When you got a lot of RAM your VM/SF usually decreases in size. I got 256Mb of Physical RAM & only a 256Mb swap file. More than enough for the average person & I do use a little bit of ADOBE to do some picture editing & gaming. The trick that I find really benificial is specifyng the same min & max sizes so windows doea not waste anytime resizing it & having windows set up for min swap file usage.

I use to read alot of guides at Speedguide.net as well and my swap file is 1024megs.

Make sure if you have two drives you put your swap on the fastest one.

Yodums

Back