• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help me help an old person

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jeff Bolton

ok my dad has a message board that he mods/admins at, which sometimes gets computer questions. no one there really knows ALOT so sometimes he asks me to help answer questions. well they posted this question, wanting to know what kind of ram to get:

"I went to the crucial.com site to see what memory type of memory to add to my computer. Of course being the dummy I am I don't understand which one I should use, so I am hoping one of you computer savvy people can tell me. There are two types of memory for my computer one is SDRAM, PC100 • CL=2 • Non-parity • and the other is SDRAM, PC133 • CL=2 • Non-parity • . Both are 256 MB. By the way this is a Compaq Presario 5BW130.
Thanks

Deb"

i already told them 133 is better since its faster, cl-2 is good, etc. she only has 64mb as it is but its only 7 months old as she says. should she get pc100 or pc133? does it really matter ALL that much? or should she just call compaq's customer service and get the run around trying to find an answer? help would be appreciated :D

jeff

The 133 is worth the $5 extra.
I would suggest to the person removing the 64mb in the pc now this will eliminate the possiblity of combatability problems between the crucial and the oem memory.

Last edited:
I'd say PC 100. Since it says she can use PC 100 or 133, the FSB is almost certainly 100 MHz, so it won't make any difference which one she choses. Unless she will be overclocking...

Back