• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LN2 vs Phase question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

evomac

This might be a "idiot" question but can someone help clarify this for me. In comparison of LN2 vs Phase what does the extra temperature difference really make? If a phase cooler can keep a proc under -30*°C load why does the difference between that and LN2 = out to higher OCs?

What I guess I'm trying to get clarified is when you are dealing with temps that low how does the lower LN2 temps make a difference? With both you are over-volting the chip far beyond recommended voltage and both will keep the chip well under sub zero temperatures.

Sorry if this is a idiotic question, but I am honestly curious about the answer.

Super Nade has a very good explanation, can't find it though.

Basically, the colder the processor, the faster you can run it at the same volts ;)

I believe it has to do with the resistance; colder = less resistance.

I tried searching around for it before posting and couldn't find any answers. Sorry if it is a dupe thread =/. I figured it had to with colder = better, but was just curious as to the reasoning to it.

To further the question, how much of a difference is it with the change of temperature? Is it something to "squeak" a little more out of the chip or are we talking a major difference?

they seem to respond very well to the extreme cold temps. I dont know who it was here but they clocked the crap out of a q6600. it was crazy to see what they could get with the cold cold temps.

I have a thread going right now on a extreme water chiller and it keeps my chip nice n cold. I have seen it read -8C in the bios (does not read right in windows says like 254C when its below 0C and the cores wont read below 4c) and it clocks like crazy for a cheap *** mobo that its with.

I know Intel chips love the cold.

Can be a major difference. Also a different fight too. Phase can have a -30C evap, and CPU can be -10C or even in positive for quads sometimes, now with Ln2 your often fighting a coldbug so will have a CPU TEMP of -110C or something, the "evap" or liquid nitrogen pot itself can be -150C.

@Hank I've been following your thread since your first "teaser" post. (See post #2 :))

@NoL Thank you for clarifying the difference a bit.

dude its a lot of fun to play around with this crap. just like when you get your water set up the first time u just say BALLS this is sweet! you can clock your chip so much!

building some of this stuff is so much fun.

down the road ill build some dry ice tubes! I think dry ice is like -70c and is cheap! L2N is crazy!

Back