• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ok to mix 128mb dimm with 256mb dimm?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrsambo12

Registered
Hi,

Is it ok to add 256mb ddr to my current 128mb ddr? Or should both be the same?

Thanks

Yes the size doesn't matter, the only thing is sometimes different brands of memory don't get along well but it's rare.

Well, this isn't exactly the same but my main machine has a 64mb SDRAM stick and a 128mb SDRAM stick in it and I have no problems, they aren't even by the same manufacturer. To my best knowledge it should not be a problem but your OS may have problems with that much memory if you've got 95 or 98.

(if your sig shows your OS is other than 9x I apologize, I turned off the ability to see sigs on my end because some of the bigger ones were getting to me)

Didn't it used to matter, back in the day with 72-pin?
I seem to remember something about how, if you had one 16MB (large back then, small now!) ram chip, you had to put another 16MB ram chip of the same design in the slot next to the first one.

While I'm here, and since I'm new, let me ask a dumb question-
What exactly do the stars under everyone's name mean? And what is your "rank" from?

Welcome to the forums,
I didn't notice you were new.
You get stars for certain number of post's, rankings are based on number of posts.
Blue stars a seniors, seniors are selected and not based on number of post's.
Green stars are moderator's also not based on number of post's.

Placid said:
Blue stars a seniors, seniors are selected and not based on number of post's.

But every once in a while Skip has a seizure and someone like me is accidentally let in.
silly.gif

Thanks for your help

Hay Guys,

Thanks for your help. Im new here also and it's a great place for me to learn what the heck im doing when I tinker under the hood of my pc. You have not seen the last of me!

Thanks again

Sam R

CharlesHF said:
Didn't it used to matter, back in the day with 72-pin?
I seem to remember something about how, if you had one 16MB (large back then, small now!) ram chip, you had to put another 16MB ram chip of the same design in the slot next to the first one.

RDRAM is sooo retro:p

Back