• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

bh6

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thralldad

Registered
HI;
New(bie) to this forum and have a few q's.

I bought a BH6(v1.02). After reading everything I can find on it I am confused about the processor I need to get. What do ya'll recommend? I will be using a Voodoo 2 video card. Light gaming and word processing will be the primary uses.

Can Celeron processors be used with pc133 SDRAM? I understand this board will support 133 FSB but the default is 100FSB,is this a fair assumption?

Thanks,I need to get the thing running soon!

Paul

thralldad said:
HI;
New(bie) to this forum and have a few q's.

I bought a BH6(v1.02). After reading everything I can find on it I am confused about the processor I need to get. What do ya'll recommend? I will be using a Voodoo 2 video card. Light gaming and word processing will be the primary uses.

Can Celeron processors be used with pc133 SDRAM? I understand this board will support 133 FSB but the default is 100FSB,is this a fair assumption?

Thanks,I need to get the thing running soon!

Paul
Celerons can be used with PC133 although the memory will run at the bus speed. If your FSB is 100, the memory will run at 100. The BH6 does not "officially" support an FSB of 133 however it is an option and many people have used it. I run my Celeron II 600 at 112 FSB in my BH6 1.0 board and it is a good solid rig. Any of the Celeron II's up to 1.1 (as long as they are not Tualatin chips) should work great in that board.

Cool!

Pricewatch has Cele 700 for $36!! What adapter do you recommend for Socket 370 to Slot 1? How about a cooler?

TIA;Paul

thralldad said:
Cool!

Pricewatch has Cele 700 for $36!! What adapter do you recommend for Socket 370 to Slot 1? How about a cooler?

TIA;Paul

i would get a Celly 900 because of its 100mhz bus and higher ocing capabilities (1.2 is very reasonable), and this is only for 20$ more.....the ASUS slocket is very good as is the Iwill...

Well, I'm not sure you'll be able to hit 1.2ghz with a Celly900 on a BH6 1.02. I know I wans't. Since BH6s below 1.1 don't have 1/4 divider, you'll be overclocking your pci bus too much @1200mhz/133fsb which may lead to problems with PCI devices. Personally, I was able to hit 1116mhz but only at high voltage and unfortunately at this speed my USB became disfunctional and I was forced to revert to 1008mhz.

thralldad said:
Cool!

TIA;Paul
I'm partial to the MSI-6905 Master slocket but others swear by the Asus. They are getting hard to find from what I hear. For a slocket mounted cooler you can't go wrong with the Alpha PEP66. I used an MSI slocket and PEP66 to take my Celeron 600 to 1008.

Hee Haw!!

Today I scored a Voodoo 3 and a Soundblaster PCI 64 for $20!!

I'm converting a Dell case to standard ATX configuration and everything fits well. I'm still assembling parts!!

Are Celeron prices going to drop now that 2Gig processors are here?

thanks;Paul

probably no drop on celeron prices, at least not the fcpga celerons (ie not tualatin core) since they dont make too many of the old fcpga's anymore and their prices is very low already. I'd grab whichever celeron looks to be the best price/performance ratio right now. I upgraded a friends to a 900 celeron a few weeks ago for something like $45, its hard to go wrong with prices like that!

also, since you said this was going to be for more than just gaming, i'd have to add that a nice fast hard drive (almost any current 7200rpm) and a decent amount of memory (256mb) will make more of a difference than anything else! We just got a shipment of 1.5ghz p4's with slow hd's where i work and my PIII 600e@800 with a IBM 60GXP at home is SOOO much faster in office apps. Dont get caught up in the mhz hype if you're looking to do actual work.

Last edited:
Back