• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

condensation and insulation question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pejsaboy

Generally speaking, where does the point of condensation occur with extreme cooling? Is it something like ambient-x number of degrees, or does it vary with other environmental factors like barometer, humidity, whatever, etc.?

Also, what exactly needs to be insulated when going for subzero cooling? Is it the cooling equipment, or non-cooled parts of the computer? Sorry if all this is answered in a sticky... it's late and I'm being rushed toward bed :)

Generally speaking, where does the point of condensation occur with extreme cooling? Is it something like ambient-x number of degrees, or does it vary with other environmental factors like barometer, humidity, whatever, etc.?

Also, what exactly needs to be insulated when going for subzero cooling? Is it the cooling equipment, or non-cooled parts of the computer? Sorry if all this is answered in a sticky... it's late and I'm being rushed toward bed :)
Lets use the pop-can example.

You just got home from the store, you picked up a 12 pack of Mountain Dew, still room temperature. You put some cans in the fridge. What happens condensation wise? Nothing. Warm object + cool air = no condensation. You come back the next day to grab one and cool off outside. The can (now the temp of the fridge) hits the outside warm air. What happens condensation wise? Cold object + warm air = *condensation*.

If you had absolute 0% humidity, you could technically run without insulation.

Basically: If it gets cold, insulate it. Tube, surrounding area and back of the motherboard.

:sn: edit: I over-simplified the example, but it should give you some indication of what will happen :)

It's called the dew point, it fluctuates depending on himidity and air temperature. As for insulation you generally insulate the container so you use less of whatever your using to super cool with. You also need to protect the board and components, that can take the form of insulation, paper towels, capton heating elements, fans and a few other things.

Ah... the dew point *smacks forehead* Guess I haven't clicked onto the weather channel in too long :D

So basically, insulate the cooler for maximum efficiency, and the rest of the board so that it doesn't get frostbite and die. Right?

Ah... the dew point *smacks forehead* Guess I haven't clicked onto the weather channel in too long :D

So basically, insulate the cooler for maximum efficiency, and the rest of the board so that it doesn't get frostbite and die. Right?

basically,yeah

basically,yeah

What about if you have enough air-flow that moisture evaporates at the same rate it condenses? I'm running around 5c below ambient, usually ~75f, but I have alot of airflow. I don't see any condensation building up, but i'm also folding alot too so i'm usually not idleing. Just curious.

Could you spray paint the mobo with some clear, electrically inert substance? Or do you have to worry about a resistor cracking due to the cold?

Could you spray paint the mobo with some clear, electrically inert substance? Or do you have to worry about a resistor cracking due to the cold?

A lot of phase change users actually use a silicone based sealer to apply to the mobo itelsf around the sicket area....I forget any specific names as it has been years since I've used phase change.

I've never had to use any silicone selaer, just good neoprene to insulate and fill in any potential air pockets around the socket itself....

I know of the method using di-electric grease to seal the socket, and then RTV or DC conformant coating for the back of the mobo. Was curious if there was some supermagic spray one could use to not have to worry about condensation.. or a WC loop leaking.

It's called conformal coating, I use it on graphics cards.

prep.jpg

Even with protection you can still run into problems when benching for extended periods ;)

stabilitylost.jpg

Thanks for the pics! I suppose a thin layer of anything is no real safe bet when compared the efficiency and low cost of foam. I like your application method Maxi, very nice.

Edit: Hey another star. :)

Back