• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual or quad-CPU slot 2 motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

donny_paycheck

Inactive Super Quad Mod
I got a hold of a bunch of 733mhz Slot 2 PIII-Xeons. A bunch means six, by the way. Anybody know a good source of dual or even quad slot 2 motherboards? I did find a few (three) on pricewatch but they're not that great....proprietary and all that. Does or did Intel or any other reputable manufacturers like Supermicro make quad Xeon boards? I'd like to get these things folding if possible. I hate to see this hardware sitting inert on my shelf in a box! Any help would be appreciated, and I mean ANY; I'll take rumors or heresay at this point.

pappypete said:
Try.....Baber.com.......($$$ hold on to your wallet $$$)LOL!!

trust me the cost of 6 PIII-Xeons is much greater than any mobo out there that i know of...

funnyperson1 said:

GOOD GOD MAN! Sounds awesome....but for some reason I'm suspecting the price'll be sky high, as that would be reasonable. I will keep this thread in my box and update it as I come to decisions.
*edit- BTW mine are only 512k cache cartridges, no whopping 1 or 2mb unfortunately!

*edit #2: Also, how do the P4 Xeons fare? I can only imagine them stomping the P3 Xeons (even w/the bigger caches) to pieces with Rambus and the QDR FSB in applications such as folding.

Last edited:
I found this one and maybe I can get it without CPUs for a lot less, but who knows....man, I want to get these monsters folding ASAP! Maybe we can even catch the Aussies (yeah right lol).

Dark Illusion said:
PIV Xeons=Vanilla PIV that's been MP enabled. Same cache and everything.

Gotcha - thanks for clearing that one up. Different than the relationship between P3s and their Xeon counterparts....P3 Xeons are the P3 katmai cores but with optionally larger caches as far as I've always known.

I've seen benchies favoring the Athlon MP 1900+ over the 2.0 P4 Xeon systems, even with RDRAM over PC2100. If the P4 Xeon has the same relationship to the P4 as the MP does to the XP then I can see how this would work but for some reason I envisioned Intel really laying the SMP smack down with the Xeon like they always have.

Anyway, back to my original thought for this thread - I'm going to get a dually slot 2 motherboard (I think the Intel SBT2 will be the one I look for) for 2 of the procs and sell the rest to a friend who already wants them.

Back