• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

168w TEC enough?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

4GHZ_or_bust

Now 6GHz or Bust!
When I get the new PC case to replace my old one, I'm also planning to plug a TEC in it for the CPU cooling. The AMD 5000+ Brisbane is listed as generating about 65 watts of heat at stock speed and I don't think it'd go over 100 at most overclocked.

I have a TEC around that draws 168w, and I was never that good with math, the guide in the sticky looks like something from college day and I haven't done any complex math for over 15 years so I need some help. Is 168w TEC enough? Or do I need a bigger TEC?

I do plan to replace my existing heat sink/fan (it doesn't do well in overclocking it seems) with something probably water cooling. A TEC should cool the CPU further and the WC would then cool the TEC.

If you can power it and want to take the risk if it breaks of it melting everything in sight then it should work. Iv always been wary with TECs, there are a lot more efficient and safer ways of getting cooler temps.

A cheaper phase unit or liquid chiller will give much better results for a similar cost and lower upkeep you should know.

Back