• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Motherboards for P4 with ddram?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

@crilicM@n

:cool: Hy Guys, I´m helping my cousin to choose a motherboard for his new system and he´s not shure p4 or palomino...
For p4 with ddram i´ve seen:
- Asus p4s333
- Asus P4b266
- Soyo p4i Fire Dragon
- Soyo P4S Dragon Ultra

Beside Intels motherboards, here in South America I think it will be difficult to find other ones... I´m quite "desatualizated"... I think theese are good options... They are sochet 478! The newer socket is the 478 right? and the Older is the 423 isn´t it? :rolleyes: Someone can explain the difference between them to me?
:beer:

socket 478 is the newer one and it is compatible with the Northwoods that are coming out (they are .13micron so expect mad overclocking maybe 600-900mhz, and 512cache), an Athlon Xp 1800+ is as good and maybe better than a P4 2.0GHZ, for half the price....i would suggest to your friend that AMD is the better route......but if you want P4 the P4333 should be the fastest DDR board for it...

;) Thanks Guys... I liked the p4s333 and the soyo (with sis635), to... I think any of them will be Ok... Thanks for the thoughts...
:beer:

the difference between the socket 478 and the 423 as i understand it is the number of pins intel is capable of manufacturing on the bottom of the processor. The 423 was made with .18 micron technology i believe and i know the 478 was made with a .13 micron so they could make the chip smaller and add more l2 cache to the chip and eventually make them faster. thats why you won't see a p4 2.2 socket 423 they're only socket 478. if you really want to overclock the people have been posting 50-100% + oc's with the p4 478 using good heatsinks and fans. the amd xp's do have more ops per cycle than the p4's thats why they use the pr system of rating their processors but they use more power to run and therefor run at a higher temp. if you wanna get into water cooling to oc an amd xp that would be sweet otherwise a cheap and high oc would be to get a p4 1.6a with a good heatsink and fan.

if anything i said above is incorrect pls don't hesitate to correct me thx.

Back