• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

powerleap adapter FCPGA to FCPGA2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JaY_III

Senior of BX
Anyone know were to buy just the adapter????
Powerleaps website only wants to sell them with a 1.2Ghz celeron.....
So if you know were to find one, PLZ SHARE

still trying to revive the bx are we? hmmmm....i sense much fear in this boy...fear that the bx will die....fear leads to anger....anger leads to pain....pain leads to hate.....hate leads to the dark side......sorry couldnt resist...the yoda voice just spoke out to me...and i think they may have modded the celly 1.2 itself so i dunno if itll work with other tualatins...

I made my mind up...
That i shall stay with a BX board till i go 64Bit

I am i die hard BX lover.
Have 2 running in my house rigth now...

oh, yoda has much truth to his wisdom .......

THE Intel 440BX IS THE BEST CHIPSET EVER MADE !!
And dont you forget it.
:beer: cheers

jay said:
I made my mind up...
That i shall stay with a BX board till i go 64Bit

I am i die hard BX lover.
Have 2 running in my house rigth now...

oh, yoda has much truth to his wisdom .......

THE Intel 440BX IS THE BEST CHIPSET EVER MADE !!
And dont you forget it.
:beer: cheers

cant disagree with that.....

BX=good shiznit

I feel your pain.
I am also running a C1200 in a BX based motherboard. I thought about going i815 or VIA, but boards based on these chipsets just aren't worth my time. I need my ISA slot, I need decent memory performance when running 100MHz FSB....and I need something reliable (something VIA can't provide). If your BX board is supported by the powerleap adapter, then by all means go for it. If you want easy overclocking, then an i815 board is the only way to go.

Anyways, long live BX...I am hoping to see similar products from intel in the future. i845D just doesn't do it for me.

Just call Power Leap. The adapters alone are $69 each. Mine should be here Wed. :D

nice to know....
so about $100CDN for the adapter....
Making this to temping :D

Long Live the BX Board!!! :)

hi guys, just one thing i have to say, i815 isnt all that bad; for example, my 60XET-C offers me the same or even greater memory performance compares to my SY 6BA+III....:D Anyway, i still love my 6BA..it is beauty...only draw back is that i have to use a pci type of vcard to cope with high fsb..:( otherwise..it rocks! 1.5GB of memory, and stability at fsb 155 are reason enough for me treasure it 4ever.

I received my bare PL-iP3/T adapters today. Nice build quality. The back of the board has a plastic cover like an Intel CPU. I would tell you how they work but Power Leap forgot to include the power cables. :(

Ouch, now that is a real bummer, no power...
Can you make something work? or are you gona have to wait???
I feel for you colin, a new toy that you just cant use.....
Can an overclocker be in anymore pain?

I really liked 440BX myself and lets not forget it's big brother 440GX which was essentially the same but with support for greater amounts of memory. However, the 440Bx is getting old now and starting to show it's age. I think it's about time to move on. The good news is we seem to have a couple of good replacements for it from Intel. I850 and I860 seem to be a couple of good relaible and stable chipsets much like the 440Bx and 440GX were. That's why when I did upgrade from my dual P3 440BX Tyan Tiger 100 I went with a dual P4 Xeon I860 Supermicro board. I haven't regretted it one bit. I still have my old Tiger 100 and I'll probably keep it for some time to come as it served well during it's day, but eventually the time comes to move along to a more advanced platform. When it comes to PCs you can't really become too attached to your hardware as everthing moves so fast and technology marches on with or without you. So, if you cling to the old too long you'll just get left behind.

As for waiting for 64bit processors you may be waiting a while. One question that has to be asked is do we really need 64bit processors for desktop systems. Right now I think the answer to that is no. The real reason you want a 64bit processor is if your working with very large data structures in memory and of course then you have to have large amounts of memory. The main benfit of a 64bit processor would be being able to directlty and quickly access more than 4GBytes of memory. Right now most desktop systems don't even have this much memory. Anyway, even if you do need to access more than 4GBytes of ram any Intel Processor from the Pentium Pro on up can access upto 16GBytes using something called PAE or physical address extension. It's just that a single segment of memory can't be over 4GBytes. So, the only real advantage of 64bit would be memory segments larger than 4Gbytes. If your data fits all in one segment you can theoretically access it faster. So, a 64bit processor could be faster when working on datasets greater than 4GB in main memory. For most average desktop users I'm not sure that's a real issue and thus I'm not sure 64bit processors are gonna take over real soon in the desktop arena. For large supercomputers it's a different stroy and thats where you already see 64bit processors being used.

Last edited:
how fast on a BX?

Doh! Wish I had seen this post earlier, before I posted a question about what processors a BX board will support, and the maximum mutiplier! What is the fastest PIII designed for a 100 MHz FSB?? I waded through Intel's site, but they seem long on sales pitch and short on hard data.

I am glad to know that you can toss a slocket into a BX board and upgrade the processor, though. Besides info on the CPU, I'd like to know if you guys have a slocket recommendations? Or ones to avoid?

G

1/2 the problem is finding them now....
slotkets are getting hard to come by in local computer shops :(
I use a generic one, and it works like a charm. I set the slotket to auto and then i can still set everything in the BIOS still.

I have used a EAGLE slotket before, seems to work fine aswell.
(broken lugs)

Just put in a EPoX SLOTKET for a friend, no problems at all with that one.

Had a ASUS that didnt support FCPGA CPU's, so before you buy a SLOTKEt make sure it supports FCPGA CPU's and not just PPGA.

While were on the subject of BX, i'm in a dilemma. I'm gonna buy a new mobo, I need FCPGA2 compatibility and support for 2 512 stick of pc100 ecc. So that's no BX, and no 815. The only other chipset I know of is the via 694T, but I don't really want via for the extremely slow memory. Any recomenation for tualatin chipsets with good sdram speeds?

Back