• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Insulation products and techniques for Sub-zero cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dawgdoc

Heya guys.

Ive gotten a few PMs over the past few weeks about what products to use for subzero insulation and figured rather than keep typing the info out over and over again Id make a thread here and just send people over to it.

I am by no means an expert, but have poured a reasonable amount of LN2 over the past 6-8 months. There isnt anything special in this post its just a generic insulation resource for people who have not done this before and need something to get them started.

First off, if you have not reviewed it, the best guides for prep are at XS.

MOBO INSULATION GUIDE
- Some people also prefer a silicone conformal coating such as "Fine-L-Kote-SR" (available at www.mouser.com and other places) instead of the clear nail polish. Personally I use the nail polish but alot of ppl like the conformals as well.

GPU POT INSULATION
FYI I use Armaflex 1"-2" tape instead of the big sheets. I find it easier to apply and isnt nearly as thick. Ive got to believe k|ngp|n is currently doing it that way as well since when I purchased my Tek 9 3.0 from him just a few months ago he included the aforementioned armaflex tape :p

TEMP PROBE INSTALLATION
- This is one for GPU only I believe but the idea is the same for the CPU pots also.

Regarding the gray foam insulation mentioned, I use Frost King "duct insulation" which I have readily found at Home Depot

FrostKinglabel.jpg

Frostkinginsides.jpg

OBVIOUSLY DONT FORGET TO TAKE THE ALUMINUM BACKING OFF FIRST :p
Frostkingfoiloff.jpg

Next, I am currently using Armaflex sheet insulation 1/2" and Armaflex tubing insulation 2 1/8", but the tubing may vary by your CPU pot diameter and shape. I currently purchase my Armaflex from Johnstone Supply. They have 320 locations globally with the majority in the US.. If you dont have one locally, or are in another country you can typically find the Armaflex, or perhaps Neoprene equivalents in a plumbing/HVAC/refrigeration supply and repair store.

First the sheet, which I believe is 1/2"
Armaflexsheetpiece.jpg

ArmaflexSheetPieceend.jpg

Now the tubing.
Armaflextube.jpg

Armaflextubeend.jpg

Armaflextubelabel.jpg

Dont forget to stock up because its not like this stuff lasts forever! What I have is an INSANE amount you dont need this much but dont get just 1 small piece of the sheeting or just 6inches of tubing either!!!

Hope this helps out some of the guys considering going subzero but dont know where to get the exact items you will need :D

Armaflexstock.jpg

Last edited:
Good info. I was among the ones bugging everybody in the Benching Team discussion lounge for advice. Maybe you could also include a few pages on board insulation techniques you would use. ;)

Good info. I was among the ones bugging everybody in the Benching Team discussion lounge for advice. Maybe you could also include a few pages on board insulation techniques you would use. ;)

I believe all the details are in the first link to the XS article written by k|ngp|n. Not much more to add other than the few comments I made but any additional info is always welcomed :)

This was really meant more as a compilation of information and details on the specific items and where to get them since I had trouble finding the exact items despite the well written XS guides.

Was something not clear in k|ngp|ns XS insulation guide links that needs clarification?

Was something not clear in k|ngp|ns XS insulation guide links that needs clarification?

No k|np|in's quide was pretty clear but with the pic you included for the duct insulation it'll be easier to find now that I know the exact name of it. Thank's for the info doc.

Last edited:
If your like me, and you can't get the "Frost King Foil Insulation" and you don't want to make a hell of a mess of your vid card using the very sticky Armaflex tape.
You can try it my way.

Around the GPU core where you would have used the Frost King stuff, use plan closed cell neoprene. And around the inside and outside edge make a small line with nail polish.
This will make it stick to the PCB and stop air getting in.

On the back side of the card.
Use plan closed cell neoprene first and then do a layer of the black sticky back insulation, make it over sized to stop air getting in and under the first layer.

This way there is very little mess to clean up

:)

Uhhhh Dean..... what the heck!?!?!?!??!

Do you realize you have an air cooler on your CPU?

Im crushed. You WERE my idol :(

:D

LOL......not only quoted but sigged on that one too LOL

OMG now this thread is refreshed I think Im gonna be sick all over again.......

:D

Back