• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus p5n or evga 750i FTW

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Painsorrow

hi, im looking at a new MB and have narrowed it down to two which one would you guys pick? the asus p5n for $240 or the evga 750i FTW for $340 i like teh idea of a cheaper price for teh exact same features, but maybe you guys know something i dont. any advice would be great thanks.

I'd avoid NVidia altogether and go with an Intel chipset. Gautam's 790i boards have eaten about 6 sets of RAM. I don't see any difference in the regulation circuitry of boards based on the reference design. If you insist, go with ASUS as they are more likely to side-step reference designs.

a different suggestion then super nade? :) something around the $200 - $350 range the cheaper the better pretty much. thats in NZD btw just as a referencee to prices :) thanks

a different suggestion then super nade? :) something around the $200 - $350 range the cheaper the better pretty much. thats in NZD btw just as a referencee to prices :) thanks

Do you need SLI becasue 750i board support sli. If you don't plan running sli setup, don't buy nvidia's based boards.

Next is memory type either DDr2 or DDr3. DDr2 is cheaper. Also boards with ddr2 might be cheaper.

look to see if you can find some P45 based boards.... right now i would look at the Asus P5Q and P5Q Pro.

750iftw for sure, its made by evga and not nvidia so its alot better. just made a rig with one to, great oc bios.

not true sir.... EVGA/XFX/BFG all use the exact same board they get from NV. the only difference is the bios boot up picture... Asus is a ODM for NV chipsets so they wont stick to NV reference designs. i still after seeing the 600's from asus wouldnt bother with NV/Asus boards. yes the OP would be better off with a OEM/NV board...

look to see if you can find some P45 based boards.... right now i would look at the Asus P5Q and P5Q Pro.

not true sir.... EVGA/XFX/BFG all use the exact same board they get from NV. the only difference is the bios boot up picture... Asus is a ODM for NV chipsets so they wont stick to NV reference designs. i still after seeing the 600's from asus wouldnt bother with NV/Asus boards. yes the OP would be better off with a OEM/NV board...

the ftw is made by evga themselves, i know the others are from nvidia.

sli is a must :) and teh evga 750i FTW is much different than the normal 750i they solved teh big v droop issue and stuff with it from what ive heard. but yeah. no one likes the p5n?

750i is not nvidia reference design. It is made for overclocking. And the price at newegg is $189, where did anyone get the $340 price?

the $340 is what it is costing me in NZD which is about that price in USD sorry i forget most people are from America haha. but what do you think, the p5n or evga 750i FTW? :) lol.

Yeah you dont need to apologize I do, I forget that theres a whole bunch of people across the sea sorry. :p

I just bought an e7200 and am deciding this too. The p5n is a good overclocker but the 750i FTW is specifically made for overclockers as well and EVGA's design is better than stock reference so its a good board. I am going with the 750i for a variety of reasons, but I want to probably go SLI. I like the fact two medium end cards can sometimes outperform a more expensive high end card, or that you can buy one high end card and in 6 months add a second and sort of "extend" the life of your gaming computer. I have an 8800GT just ordered, will be in tomorrow. When the new cards come out I will probably step up to one as soon as they drop to a reasonable price and then if one isnt enough I can add a 2nd.

haha i must say i love ya avatar Slayn. yeah i just like the p5n because it costs me $100 less haha. but i might as well just go for the evga 750i ftw lol. i think i have a decision unless someone else has a better idea? :) lol i hate making decisions because i keep thinking they will be the wrong one lol

If you are dead set on SLI, then I'm afraid you are stuck with NVidia chipsets and their associated quirks. Let me tell you that every single member in our benchmarking team is ditching NVidia chipset boards because of reliability issues.

In any case, according to your choice I would go with an ASUS version as they seem to have a different DRAM VRM design. The reference design seems crap because of the many unresolved issues. The reference x50's have compromise written all over them (they are budget boards).

Back