• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[eVGA 680i nForce 4] Video Error on Boot half the time

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mark_88

Registered
Hello OCForums,

I made a thread about a similar topic earlier, but it got kinda cluttered and things have changed so I'll re-post here and explain as well as possible.

Half the time when I boot up my PC, I get a long - short - short beeping error. It means video card trouble. The other 50% of the time, it boots just fine. One short beep. Also, if I enable SLI-ready memory (CPUOC MAX) in the BIOS, my FPS in games is half of what it should be.

eVGA 680i A1
eVGA 8800GT SC
Intel C2D E6850
OCZ 2GB PC2-8500 SLI-Ready Memory

Watercooling on the CPU, GPU and NB. HR-05 SLI on the SB.

Here's all I've done with the PC.

I recently changed cases, from a Centurion 5 to a P182. The problems started after this swap.

The P182 has the cable management compartment behind the mobo, which means that there's less space for the nuts, bolts and brackets on the back of the mobo. Two nuts, fastening the Northbridge water block, were too big. With my motherboard fastened to the case, the mobo bent a little. I have viled down the two nuts so they fit in the case, but it has spent a while in this 'bent' position. I cannot see any damage on the mobo itself that's possibly caused by this.

During the swap some coolant leaked from the GPU block onto the GPU itself. I dried it off and gave the entire card an Isopropanol wash using a little cologne tester spraypiece. There was no cologne left in the spraypiece.

I have also sprayed the first (top) PCI-E slot and its surroundings with Isopropanol.

I got a cheap PCI-E replacement card to see if the problem was with the GPU. When I put it in the top slot, I get the same long - short - short error. However, when I put that card in the bottom slot, it boots with no errors and the SLI-ready CPUOC MAX setting does not reduce performance, it improves it slightly.

What am I dealing with here, guys? My guess is the motherboard is damaged, but I can't be any more specific or find a solution myself.

Help?

Mark

PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610 EPS12V. Product page here.

It powers all the following:

3 120mm case fans.
1 Zalman Reserator XT
eVGA 680i Mobo
Intel Core 2 Duo e6850
2GB OCZ SLI-Ready PC2-8500 RAM
1 DVD/RW Drive
1 160GB Maxtor Sata I Drive, 7200 RPM
eVGA Geforce 8800GT Superclocked

EDIT: In the previous case, it powered only one 120mm case fan. Also, with the case was a letter from Antec saying something about a possible defect in the 120mm case fans, so on top of the default 3, they included 3 more. I used the default 3. Could the problem be here?

EDIT2: With no case fans hooked up at all, there's no difference.

Last edited:
Back