• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus p5k SE mobo weird electrical noises. please assist

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sunburn74

Hi! I have a problem with my asus p5k se board. Now first thing is everything works fine. it overclocks great (1ghz out of my e8400) and everything works just fine. The only issue that there seems to be what sounds like a an electrical buzz/whine when computing intensive/graphically intensive operations occur. In fact, for example, if I'm on a web page and scroll down with the mouse I can generate this buzz/whine on queue. And when I'm gaming, the noise is generates itself quite frequently and doesn't really let up for the course of the gaming session.

Now I've put my ear to the board as the noise is being generated and it sounds like its coming from a spot on the board in between the pcie1x16 slot and the chip. Imagine if a large fly was stuck on your board and insisted on letting you know about it's presence for however long you were running orthos or gaming or whatever. I'm absolutely stumped and plan on returning the board as this was supposed to be a quiet build.

Can anyone verify this problem with any of their asus boards? How did you solve it?

hmm... ok, on the other side of the wall my mobo is mounted, there is a space between the wall and the case and in that space I have all my cables tucked into. there really are very few cables flowing around the mobo. I can't see how i could improve it but i will give recabling a shot and will take it from there.

however to reiterate the noise is coming from the mobo itself. it sounds like an electrical whine.

Back