• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC: from 1.8 to 3.0ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mcalvelloxx

Registered
I'm trying to OC my system to 3.0ghz.

Specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo 4300
Gigabyte P35-DS3R Rev. 1
2 GB Mushkin Enhanced PC2-6400
Scythe Ninja http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185046

This is what I tried but then I got BSOD:

Clock Ratio: 9x
System memory multiplier: 2.00, which changed the memory frequency to 667mhz.

CPU Host Frequency: 333

PCI Express Frequency (mhz): 100

CAS Latency Time: 3
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay: 3
DRAM RAS# Precharge: 3
Precharge delay (tRAS): 10

DDR2 OverVoltage Control: Auto
FSB OverVoltage Control: Auto

CPU Voltage Control: 1.3875

Again, after I save the settings and booted the machine, the systems runs fine for an hour and then I get BSOD.

What am I doing wrong? Do I need more voltage?

Thank you

Lest we forget? :welcome: to the forums :D

I agree with TFP, I'd jump the voltage one step. Also what ratio is your ram running at? You may need to loosen the timings. Just a few ideas, I'll leave specifics to the experts.

If it is bsod, then you need more voltage. Btw, thats some nice timings on that ram, how much voltage are you giving it?

The system is "stock" at the moment. But this is what CPUZ shows..
spdcj4.jpg

So if it's BSOD I need more voltage. Should I change the DDR2 and FSB OverVoltage?

As you can see, I'm an OC newbie..haha

Are you doing any stability testing, or just letting windows run and seeing when it crashes? I wouldn't mess around much with the OS on an unproven overclock, you can trash the install.

Are you doing any stability testing, or just letting windows run and seeing when it crashes? I wouldn't mess around much with the OS on an unproven overclock, you can trash the install.

I have downloaded all the apps but I haven't done any testing yet. Yeah, I let windows run to see if it a crashes and it trashed my previous installation.

Apparently, 1.3875 for CPU voltage is good for this setup. I'm pretty sure the cause of the BSOD is:

DDR2 OverVoltage Control: Auto
FSB OverVoltage Control: Auto

EDIT: OK, I changed the DDR2 OverVoltage to +0.3 and left the FSB in Auto. I will go ahead and run prime.
I will post back ASAP with results.

Last edited:
Just run HWMonitor (after OCing to 3.0ghz) and got this:
tempscq9.jpg

Are these "healthy" temps? I'm reading about temps right now but it's always good to get some opinions.

Thanks guys..

Oh wait nevermind I was looking at the wrong ones, It's been a long day already. That's at 3.0Ghz? Those look fine, I'm sorry.

Edit- Try downloading Realtemp as well and see what that gives you for a TJMax, generally you would shoot for a 30c difference.

Oh wait nevermind I was looking at the wrong ones, It's been a long day already. That's at 3.0Ghz? Those look fine, I'm sorry.

Edit- Try downloading Realtemp as well and see what that gives you for a TJMax, generally you would shoot for a 30c difference.

OK, I run realtemp and got this:
realtemoyg4.jpg

Good?

thanks..

EDIT: I'm running prime95 right now and realtemp shows between 47-50 C in the windows task bar..
now it show 54

I have indeed ;)

Edit - I have to re-OC it as I just rebuilt my whole system this morning so I have to redo everything.:(

Last edited:
I have indeed ;)

Edit - I have to re-OC it as I just rebuilt my whole system this morning so I have to redo everything.:(

Oh damn, well good luck with the OCing. I'm still running prime95, no errors or BSOD for now. Computer is pretty smooth actually.

Thanks for your help again..

Back