• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

p5k power consumption (wont boot)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Avalanche

ok, so i got my new p5k pro today to replace my bad flashed p5b deluxe. put everything in, get all excited and press the power button. no posting, nothing. screen doesnt turn on. my question is, on the p5b deluxe there were 2 cpu power connectors side by side. the p5k pro only has one. did i make a mistake buying this? the only thing i can think thats wrong is theres not enough juice getting to the cpu. any help would be greatly appreciated =[

What power supply do you have? Do you have the 24 pin and 8 pin plugged in?

I have an OCZ Gamexstream 700. I'd assume those are plugged in, i dont see anywhere else to put the 2nd 4 pin connector for the cpu.

*the 24 is in next to the main power connector, cpu1 is in right next to the cpu. cpu2 doesnt have a place to connect to...**

mm, if that psu doesnt have an 8 pin cpu plug, then stick your cpu1 plug on the left side (first 4) and you should be good.. use the black dimms (2+4) and recheck everything, it should start, then stop, then start again and let you enter the bios for setup

I believe the 8 pin splits into 2 4-pin at least the OCZ website seems to think so

Trap is correct,

I have the same OCZ PSU...the 2 cpu plugs can be stuck toghether for boards with an 8pin or seperated if the board only has 4pin cpu.

I'm pretty sure you only need one of them though/ My p5k came with a cover covering the left 4 pin connector, so I just plugged one into the right.

also, another weird thing. when i try to boot up and it wont even post... the cd drive tries to read the cd in the tray =/

*also, i tried taking out the cpu to boot it up and flash to a later bios, no go; nothing and still cant get a video display on it. the keyboard doesnt flash, only the cd drive works eventually (only when cpu is in). so im assuming the board is just a doa from the egg... poo.* asus is really starting to frustrate me, maybe its time to move over to abit?

Last edited:
have you try clearing cmos yet?
Rich

yeah i cleared ther cmos, still nothing. the only time the motherboard ever beeps is when the ram isnt in the board. i dont believe im missing any power inputs, there are no other places on the board to put in power...

Sounds like a dead board then I'd RMA it if you've triple checked everything

Sounds like a dead board then I'd RMA it if you've triple checked everything

yeah, i think thats gonna happen today. hope egg waives that nice %15 restock fee.

**anyone have any recommendations as to which motherboard i should get?**

Last edited:
Back