• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus P5Q for E8400??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

voigts

I'm looking to upgrade my CPU to an E8400 or E8500. I have the Gigabyte 965p-DS3, which is supposed to support this with the latest beta bios, but I am considering just changing out motherboards also.

I haven't found this MB to be a reliable overclocker. Even at a modest 3.2ghz, this MB hangs up on reboot, etc. no matter what I seem to do, and that is with this E6400. I also am about to switch to Vista x64 that I got from the powertogether program for free, so given that I don't know how the licensing goes if I switch the MB (like OEM or retail), I'm thinking it might be better to switch MBs now.

I see that a few etailers have the P5Q now. Is this a good option to go with? I don't need the esata or crossfire given that I plan on sticking with Nvidia, so I'm thinking the plain jane P5Q will be fine. Opinions?

I've heard nothing but good things about the P45 for the 45nm dual cores. Mine just came in today so I can give you some personal experiences later tonight.

Back