• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCF help with motherboard and componits decistion

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

salsa88

I'm building a new gaming rig thats going to be water cooled. I'm planning on over clocking the motherboard, Ram, CPU and GPU. I plan on getting the intel quad core q66oo @ 2.4 ghz as its been over clocked to 4.0 ghz (not sure how stable 4ghz was). And was wondering what motherboard, Ram and graphics card I should also consider for my OC build?:

Please post recommendations with any benchmark and/or OC stats

Price Range
Motherboard:$150+-
CPU:$200+-
GPU:$300+-
RAM:$150+-

Thank You!

Last edited:
You should first decide on a price.

You should then head over to the hardware sections and see what people have to say about the boards, and what results they have gotten.

I'm thinking about the EVGA nforce 780i SLI motherboard anyone have any pro's and con's for it?

I'm thinking about the EVGA nforce 780i SLI motherboard anyone have any pro's and con's for it?

It is a great board and I've only had good experiences with it. As far as you expecting to hit 4Ghz with a Q6600 that will be quite a stretch, not impossible off course but very few Q6600 can do 4 Ghz stable even with the best mobo's out there.

If you are going to mainly game with your system then I would suggest a E8400 or E7200, they can get to 4Ghz much easier and runs much cooler.

The new P45 boards are quite nice and very affordable, unless you want to go SLI I would get a good P45 or P35 board not a nVidia chipset board as they are all quite pricey except for the 680i's but they are basically obsolete and not really suited for the newer 45nm CPU and definately not for quads.

Last edited:
The new P45 boards are quite nice and very affordable, unless you want to go SLI I would get a good P45 or P35 board not a nVidia chipset board as they are all quite pricey except for the 680i's but they are basically obsolete and not really suited for the newer 45nm CPU and definately not for quads.

Thanks, what graphics card would you suggest I use If i go with a p45-p35 motherboard and a E8400 or E7200 ? I have a 50" 1080p plasma for a monitor so I want a HDMI (not DVi-HDMI) capable card that will do 108p with eas.

E8400 and for a video card I'd say the 8800GTS 512 mb which goes for <$200 after rebate

You could wait for the new GT280 (very pricey) or the HD4870 which will surface in the next few weeks.

It's not a bad board, but I'd reccomend against getting your computer hardware from ebay.

I've made my decision!!
ASUS P5E3 DELUXE/WIFI-AP X38 ATX DDR3 Draft N 26581T
Intel E8400 3.0ghz
OCZRam Flex ll (2x2gb)
Raptor 150gb HD @ 10k rpm
8800GTS 512 mb

Just need to decide on a water cooling kit and a PSU, Any suggestions?

Back