• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

5v line ques

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

m4a2t0t

just curious about 5v line readings,VIA hm shows my line at like 4.7 V but when i attach my meter to the 5v line on a unused psu connector it shows 5.04V.

my 5v line it actually at 5.04v right?is this the right way to tell my what mt 5v line is?

measurements taken with genome@home running and also playing music.

thanks

Well thats the amount coming out of a molex but I don't know about on the motherboard, the voltages are measured by a little ic on teh motherboard and are usually pretty accurate as to what teh voltages are on the board, check in the bios to see see if viahm is right though as that sounds quite low

the bios shows 4.83V.is this a PSU problem?i heard enermax has a prob with their 5v line,any ways to fix this

if you got a low 5V line, not much you can do about it... Buy a new PSU.. or some crazy PSU mod that envolves changing the CAPs in the PSU itslelf.

I would trust the Multimeter over the motherboard myslef...
haveing any stability problems? If not, dont sweat it

I would trust both as they are both measuring it at differant points. It's possible to increase the 5v lines power by adjusting a little pot inside the psu but this is dangerous and voids your warranty, unless you're having stability issues you should be fine.

no stability probs,i would like to see the line closer to 5V thats all

it won't do any harm for it not to be, and if it's stable then there is no problem, increasing the line voltage to get it up to 5v will just increase temps and shorten the life of the psu.

I better settle this before Hoot has to come and answer this question (again).

Hoot said:
This jab is not aimed only at you, but doesn't anyone read posts in this forum other than their own. I swear I have covered this two or three times in the past week. The +5V that reaches your motherboard monitoring circuit, when the CPU is under load, is never the same as what your PSU is putting out. Your PSU may be putting out 5.1V and you can still only read 4.7V or worse on the motherboard. The problem is in the path between the PSU output and the core voltage regulator input.

Read through this thread, especially my several posts.

http://forums.overclockers.ws/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=51160

73, Hoot

Back