• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good Overclocking motherboard for Q9450

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

soldar

Hey all, i've been breaking my head for days now trying to figure out what would be the best motherboard for the new system i'm building and i just can't do it alone anymore :(

the new system is going to be comprised of :
Q9450
2gb 1066mhz g.skill ddr2
Geforce 9800gtx
OCZ 600w psu
Tuniq Tower 120
500gb 7200rpm 32mb Segate hd
Coolermaster 690 case

up until yesterday i thought it will have a GIGABYTE GA-X48-DS5 but the thread here where people had problems with it made me go scramble for an alternative (the parts are actually ordered already, but since the store can't seem to get a 9450 for now, i might still have time to change).

there's also a pretty limited choice of motherboards that the shop even carries , it's mainly just Asus or Gigabyte.
i thought about switching for a DQ6 or an Asus rampage(which lacks some features for it's price), but those cost more and i'm already past the budget as it is, but i if there's no other choice . i was also worried about clearance with the huge tuniq tower 120, don't want motherboard heatsink to hit it :)

If I were in your shoes I'd probably go for the new P45 chipset, like the Asus P5Q Deluxe. Keep in mind though that the Q9450 is a quad and will be harder to overclock than a dual core. Higher FSB will be needed and if you can hit 450 FSB with a 8x multi you are doing good. The new P45 boards have a better chance of hitting higher FSB speeds than the P35's. Try checking out this thread to see other's attempts at the Q9450.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=554407

+1 for p45. Apparently they are going to be better than current x48 for overclocking, especially 45nm and super especially for quads. Not sure if intel is bringing out a revised x48 (I think I read mention of that somewhere on these forums). The GA-EP45-DQ6 looks like a beast of a board (4x gigabit lan + 10x sata + awesome pci-e arangement = win)

+3 P45, Heard a lot of great things about them.. I'm waiting to here more as it will be possibly my next board ill buy

seems like i'll switch to the P5Q Deluxe , though one review said it was one of the hardest motherboards to overclock and one said it was one of the easiest...
i'm pretty torn about whether to get a P5Q3 or not , i like the fact that it has built in wireless, but then i need to add like 100$ for 2gb of ddr3 1333mhz (and another 50$ or so for the mobo)

Unless Asus has made sweeping bios changes I see no reason why it would be hard to overclock they are typically extremely easy to work with and understand. Another vote for the Asus P5Q Dlx

one of the hardest motherboards to overclock and one said it was one of the easiest...

This greatly depends on the user, and I cannot stress enough that everyone here does not have the exact same knowledge in overlocking. However, the more knowledge you have of what each setting does and its primary function, it will lead you to better results.

This greatly depends on the user, and I cannot stress enough that everyone here does not have the exact same knowledge in overlocking. However, the more knowledge you have of what each setting does and its primary function, it will lead you to better results.
http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTUxMyw2LCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==
didn't mean optionwise hard , but hard to get stable according to this review, certainly not amatures, but i hope it was an isolated case of maybe a bad board.

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTUxMyw2LCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==
didn't mean optionwise hard , but hard to get stable according to this review, certainly not amatures, but i hope it was an isolated case of maybe a bad board.

you do realize you're reading a review for the P5Q3 Deluxe and not the P5Q Deluxe? ... just wanted to make sure, you will need the P5Q if you plan on using DDR2, and even choose that board to begin with. DDR3 is new ... and uncharted water, take that with a grain of salt. Not everyone has been over-clocking with DDR3 for 4 years.

P5Q = DDR2
P5Q3 = DDR3

I have a Asus Rampage Formula and love it. It overclockes real easy and stable. Has a lot of options and uses DDR2

you do realize you're reading a review for the P5Q3 Deluxe and not the P5Q Deluxe? ... just wanted to make sure, you will need the P5Q if you plan on using DDR2, and even choose that board to begin with. DDR3 is new ... and uncharted water, take that with a grain of salt. Not everyone has been over-clocking with DDR3 for 4 years.

P5Q = DDR2
P5Q3 = DDR3
yeah saw that , just thought there wouldn't be that much difference seeing as the boards would be pretty identical. is a ddr3 motherboard usually harder to overclock with?

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450
ASUS P5Q Deluxe
Seagate ST3500320AS 500GB SATA2 32MB
Mushkin DDR2 4096MB (2048MBx2) 1000Mhz CL 5-5-5-15 XP REDLINE
Leadtek WinFast PX9800GTX 512MB PCIe
LG GSA-GH20L X20 DVD
COOLER MASTER RC-690
ThermalTake ToughPower 650W
SUNBEAM TUNIQ BLUE LED FAN

ok this is the final and ordered pc, hopefully with any luck they'll finish it by the end of the week so i'll be able to play with it this weekend :)
what's nice about the shop i ordered it from , is that they have an option to check whether you want them to OC your cpu. so i'll let them try their hands with it first :D

now the real hard question that is left to decide , is what OS is best to install on this system. i've had XP so far but i'll probably move to vista now. but will it be 64bit or 32bit, i know 4gb memory is only really good with 64bit, but 64bit has quite a few problems of it's own i understand.

edit2:
god damn nvidia, now they released a new graphics card :(

Last edited:
Back