• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do you think the 4850/4870 will work with 4CoreDual-VSTA? G92 doesnt, but 3870 does

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

beavismorpheus

Do you think the 4850/4870 will work with 4CoreDual-VSTA? G92 doesnt, but 3870 does

I understand pci-e 2.0 is supposed to be backwords compatible with pci-e 1.0, but for some reason my motherboard is picky. I bought a 3870 a while back and had tons of glitches so after much research I realized I had to flash my bios to get it to support the pci 2.0 card. However, there is still not patch for the G92 cores and they will not work on this board.

Im wondering since the 3870s core has been permitted to work on this motherboard and the upcoming 4850/4870 are also ati cards and use the same drivers, do you think they will work natively now? Or will I have to wait on a patch? The cores are similar? I dont want to end up RMAing.

HALP
funny-pictures-cat-abducted-aliens.jpg

Can someone take an educated guess? I wont get mad if we're wrong.

Last edited:
I used to own the 4coredual-vsta, and was able to run a EVGA 8800GTS 512 meg KO in it. While waiting for my Abit IP35 to come in I decided to try the video card in the Asrock, and it worked fine. The preformance wasn't as good as the Abit, but it did work. I may have just been lucky, but one thing I did in the bios, before I took out the AGP card that was in it, was to make sure the pci express setting was turned on.

If you want my suggestion, I would just get a new motherboard anyway. My preformance was greatly increased by just changing motherboards, not to mention that I was able to finally overclock my E6600 on top of it.

I had that mobo and it never worked right, it can use the 8800gts thats for sure. I would really sugest moving to something like a ip35-e or a gigabyte p35 ds3l. The bus on the asrock only opperates at x4 so you get 1/4th the band width, very bad for gpu's.

I'd say it's unlikely to work, and even if it did, it's going to perform terribly because of that 4x slot. I used to use that board, and my 6600 was very glitchy in it, and my 3870 didn't work at all.

Just upgrade.

DON'T put a $300 graphics card on a $50 motherboard.

You'll thank me later...

Just upgrade.

DON'T put a $300 graphics card on a $50 motherboard.

You'll thank me later...

Maybe not. I have 2 50 dollar mobos with 2900xts in em ;).

I think its worth giving a shot. The G92s and G80s apparently had some PCIE2 issues, I've never heard of anything like that with ATI.

Maybe not. I have 2 50 dollar mobos with 2900xts in em ;).

I think its worth giving a shot. The G92s and G80s apparently had some PCIE2 issues, I've never heard of anything like that with ATI.

thanks for being my frind <3

thankuv.jpg

you guise got any good lolcats?

rainless, i meant 170 for the 4850. its worth having to rma the 4850 and letting everyone know in case it doesnt work.

edit: i like the mobo in your sig and ive been recommending it for my friends' builds :p

rainless, i meant 170 for the 4850. its worth having to rma the 4850 and letting everyone know in case it doesnt work.

edit: i like the mobo in your sig and ive been recommending it for my friends' builds :p

Thanks. I love this thing. If they ever dropped the price to like 25 bucks I'd buy four of them. :beer:

Back