• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hot SouthBridge - P5N-E SLi.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ShadowPho

I am in your stack, SUBbing your registers!
I have been getting quite a few extremely weird problems with my HDDs. Today I took a look at my southbrige and it was BURNING hot. (like, 70C approximated by my burning fingers).
It only started recently, and I believe it is because we just just got a hot day here at chicago, and it's 80F in my room instead of the usual 65-75F.

I have an [email protected],
DDR2, 2Gigs of 666MHz @ 840MHz
2 HDDs, one with 320GBs, one 80GBs.

How can I mount a HS on this southbridge?

Glue, superglue, arctic silver? Will aluminum be fine?

Right now I put some fan blowing cold air over it and it is fantastic.

Attachments

• Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 255
  • Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 256
Last edited:
If you have a heatsink laying around and don't have any thermal tape (that's how I'd attach it if you had some), then some AS5 in the center and a tiny bit of superglue at the corner of the heatsink would work well. But really, thermal tape is the best solution here.

If you're going to order a new heatsink or heatsink/fan combo, they'll likely use the stock pushpin holes to the left and right of the southbridge. The HR-05 or HR-05 SLI are excellent heatsinks, I have one on my heavily overvolted NB and it dropped my temps from 65-66C to 41C max (that is with a 80x80x15mm fan, though).

Your motherboard got holes around southbridge so you could use pin down heatsink.

Many smaller heatsinks come with thermal adhesive tape that should do it be enough for southbridge.

If you want to glue heatsink to the southbride you could use acrtic sliver adhesive. Though you won't be removing that heatsink, so make sure that it doesn't interfere with any other devices

Back