• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC Issue, Gigabit p35 D3SL

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jdeck

Hi,

Recently I've been having a boot issue when overclocking that I'm trying to resolve. I built a new computer about a month back; E8400 3.0 ghz, Gigabit P35 D3SL, 8gigs Gskill DDR2, 8800GT gfx card. I'll try and get right to the point.

My initial overclock setup in the BIOS was as follows, using this link as a guide,
http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=717&p=1

CPU Freq: 9 x 400 (3.6ghz)
PCI Express freq: 100 mhz
System Memory Multiplier. 2.0
Ram Timings: 4-4-4-12
CPU Vcore: 1.15v (default, which was running stable).

Everything was running fine. Some time after, I loosened the RAM timings back to their original 5-5-5-15 and increased the CPU to 3.8gigs.

I then increased the voltage a bit (about 1.2v), and again the system ram stable. Well the other night the power goes out when I'm not home, and so of course the comp shuts down improperly. I turned it on that night and it booted fine, however the next morning I was unable to boot it without it resetting to the default BIOS.

I tried increasing the voltage a bit but to no avail. The system will start momentarily, shut down, and then reset back to the default settings before booting again. I tried even going back to my original 3.6 ghz setup that ran completely stable and it simply wont boot.

Could this have been from the power outage last night? I'm rather new to overclocking so I'm not sure what else could be causing this. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, and I apologize if this post was a bit long winded.

Thanks,
Jay

Pull the CMOS battery and leave it overnight. See what that does. Yes, I know, shouldn't make any difference, but I've seen it work.

I've had something like this happen to me before, and I fixed it by saving the default settings in bios, booting like that, shutting it down, and then switching to the OC settings.

Later after I posted this issue I tried once more and this time it took. I still find it odd however that it was sketchy the first half dozen tries. If these settings don't hold and this issue persists I'll give the above suggestions a shot.

Thanks alot,
Jay

Back