• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS P5N-D with E8400 overclocked now won't boot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

alstare

Hi guys my first post after lot of reading.
Put new system together last week specs in my sig. CPU idles at 48-49C with Load going bit over 60C kind of high for not O/C I think.

I used the simple auto O/C menu in bios increased it to 20% the system wasn't passing and taking me back to Bios so decreased it to 15% it did boot. at 3.45 MHz but I noticed random freezing. Manual mode changed FSB from 1333 to 1600 to give me 3.6 (as I don't have any option to set numbers below 500 fsb) the system wouldn't boot even with increased vcore to 1.35.

Changed fsb to 1689 vcore at 1.275 it boot in no problem but still had random freezing even at idle (CPU at 3.8 GHz)

Set back to default flashed latest BIOS, and Nforce drivers. Boot into win XP no problems at 3.0Ghz. Changed the vcore to 1.4v and FSB to 1778 and never recovered. The system didn't boot, not even to bios when reset the fans come on but nothing else. I took the battery out for about a min (maybe not long enough) hoping it will take me to default no luck.

Any other options how to bring it back to life ? or is MB done. I'm thinking of taking it back to the store if I get it to work and replacing it with something better for OC that has also SLI any suggestions ?

Thanks and sorry for long post.

welcome to OCF Alstare!

sounds like its time to strip her down.id start with a single stick of memory and a single gpu.if that doesnt work try swapping the other memory module and gpu and see if that shows any signs of a possible failure other than the mb.next pull both sticks of mem.if it spits out a beep code it may be faulty mem.if no beep code chances are the mb is toast(repeat with the gpus if need be).if that doesnt help id try disconnecting the psu power cable and then cmos battery and leave it until morning(probably wont help but theres a small chance).if all that fails to get it to boot,its fair to say the mobo or cpu is likely toast.

In addition to removing battery disconnect or turn off power to power supply and press power button.

Playing with voltages is not without risk. I hope you find that you can set it all back.

Is there a jumper on the MB to reset the CMOS? Every board that I've seen has one but I don't know your board.

Good luck.

Hey guys, yea found the clear cmos jumper, beside leaving battery out over night. I tried the jumper as well. I did took everything out trying resets inbetween, no luck. Removed cpu tried the clear cmos again put everything together still dead. Light on the board is green btw. I think it's safe to say I done everything I can at this point. I'm pretty sure the cpu is fine it's the board I guess the increase of 1777 fsb didn't register too well :( vcore was only 1.4 I don't feel that it would damage the board or the cpu. But I'll start new post to which MB is good for O/C E8400 and is SLI.

Back