• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

General OC questions from a Newbie

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cdavis6406

I just bought a pc and its OC'd to 3GHZ. Im not to sure of all the settings. But Im using this for audio recording with Protools. This uses RTAS/VST plugins which utiliizes all the cores. What would be the best bios settings for the following config. For a fairly stable but OC'd system.

ECS PT35-A Mother Board.
Intel Q6600 K
2 GB Ballisitix PC 5600 DDR2 UNBUFFERED SDRAM DIMM
Inel DTC-AAL03 Cooling Fan
500w pwr supply
ATI HD 2400 PRO Graphics Card (Graphics performance is not an issue, its set to the base settings)

Any help is appreciated.

:welcome: to the forums.

Every board and chip has different settings that may work. Your best bet would be to read through this guide to start.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=515316

Some of the terms may be confusing, but once you read through it, you will pickup on them.

OCing is all about trial and error and going slow.

OC in for audio recording

I can OC the MB. It will let me adjust about everthing in the newbie article.
One thing I noticed, the bios said the CPU temp was 47C(Idle) dont know if this is good or bad.(FSB is 333mhz) and Window is showing 3ghz. The board also set Mem to 5 5 5 16 or somthing. But I can manually reset to 4 4 4 12 and seems to be okay.
I dont really know what would be a mild OC for this set up. 3GHz is okay 3.5 would be better.
I also bought 2 more GB of ram. And an Artic Freeze 7 cooler, and ram cooler to attach to the mem heat sinks. I dont want to hotrod but a mild OC would do the trick.
Any more advice is welcome.
Thanks

Also this board isnt pinned out for the power button led. Is there an alternative connection I could use? i have several pin blocks unused like fans, cd sound etc.

Last edited:
3ghz is a moderate OC with that chip. 3.6 would be a high OC.

50c for the cpu at idle is hot. Do you have good airflow in the case?

You are using the stock cooler I take it?

Ive installed core temp .99 and it shows temp at idle at 42-45C.
Im using stock cooler. Waitng on Artic freeze 7, intake and exhaust fans, and memory cooler from same manufacturer. Also I chceck pwr supply its a crapp allied 350w.
When i start tweaking the bios with the mem set to auto and 2.0v the most i can get is 3.25 before it craps out. Probabl cooling/pwr supply issue.
However if i can get to run stable and cool at 3.25 that would be fine.
Does an one think this is possible with the above cooling and a 500w pwr supply?

Also the reason im using above cooling is because the were used in previous DAW stations I have used and are extremely quite, so thats a factor also.

And what is TJ. Max mine reads 100 is this okay?

Last edited:
Okay I installed Artic Freeze Intake and exhaust fans, AF 7 Pro cpu fan adn AF ram fans.
It runs great 3.05GHZ with mb voltage and mem set to auto.
Core Temp says core #0-39C,#1-39C ,#3-32C,#4-37C.
When I run P95 , for just an hour or so to check cpu temp, it maxes out between 60-62C on the hottest core and 58C on the coolest.
Is this normal? good/bad?
When running Pro Tools LE the max cpu usage at peak rendering is 60% and usually stays around 35% . So my apps arent really taxing the system.
If theses temps are withing operating tolerances Id be happy with the setup
Any input is really appreciated.

And thanks for the previous posts
C

Those temps are ok. But I would replace that PSU in a heartbeat. You don't want your other parts go with it when it dies out

Back