• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus P5k Premium Problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bigdaddysky

Registered
Ok just got all the parts for my new rig:
- Q6600
- TRU heatsink
- Sythe 120mm fan
- 2 x 1gig Crucial Ballistix 1066mhz
- XFX 8800gt 512meg
- Pioneer 18x dvd burner (sata)
- 500gig Seagate
- 600w OCZ Stealthxstream PSU

ok i hooked all these up prior to getting the PSU... Got the PSU and hooked it up I hooked the 24pin power and om the top left corner of the mobo there is 2 4 pin hook ups for eatx power i believe. I took the plastic cover off the one side and hooked up power to both of those plugs... from my power supply it has 2 4pin plugs labeled cpu1 and cpu2 so i hooked these up (cpu 1 to the one that was not covered and cpu 2 to the one that was covered.
Anyway my problem is after everything was hooked up i booted and I did not get anything on my monitor... no bios beeps ( i belive because there is no speaker built in and i did not hook one up) Naturally i freaked, I did not know what was going on. I thought it was the vid card but everything in that turns on (loud Fan), then i thought it was the cpu. I pulled that off and inspected it ( did not inspect the pins, thats my next inspection) reseated evrything and i got the American megatrends screen: New cpu installed, intrusion detected. I restart and no boot again nothing on screen. so i pull the cpu fan and clear cmos.
After restarting I get the American megatrends again and it detects everything hooked to the mobo. so i leave everything and it boots from the cd. I start installing Vista and when it needs to restart. It restarts and the same thing I get nothing on screen again.
So i clear cmos again and it lets me resume the installation. so when it restarts again... nothing on screen and i have to clear cmos again. Thats when it hits me... I did not try and set the bios to defaults ( i assume that happens when you clear cmos)
So im thinking it might be the ram ( I don't have any extra ddr2 to test this theory and i have no floppy for memtest)
So my question is .... Can anyone help me out?
thanks

I have the same board and also used both four pin connectors. The mobo does have a speaker. You definitely want to set up your hardware settings in bios: Set the correct ram speed and voltage. Those sticks probably require 2.1v or close. Check the sticker on the sticks only. What bios version? I'm using 0705.

I actually updated to the newest Bios revision, just because I thought thats what the problem was. But now im thinking its the ram. I will check that ram voltage when i get home today. Hopefully that fixes it but if it does not. any other recomendations out there?

ok i found the ram voltages and set it to 2.2 as the label stated on the ram itself...and its good rebooted and it boots no more clearing cmos for me
thanks for the help nightelph

hmmmm rebooted and now doesnt want to show anything on screen even after i clear cmos.... I need some help!!!!!!!!!

I had a similar problem once, the way I revived it was clear CMOS overnight with the battery out and boot with some value Ram. DDR2-667 1.8V. Then I replaced the Ram with the good stuff and it worked although I had a few boot errors after that it always revived itself.

You could try just one stick of ram for now. Also, with that board, make sure your ramsticks are in the black slots, it yields better OC'ing. I've resolved funky issues like this by removing the mobo from the case completely and testing 'outside the box'.

When you say back slots, the black and yellow slot furthest from the cpu? Oh i tried to boot with no memory in the mobo and i got no beeps, I think the mobo might be bad
AHHHH Black SLots ... thought you said back slots

Last edited:
Oh i tried to boot with no memory in the mobo and i got no beeps, I think the mobo might be bad

Had that problem, Had to RMA- twice. The first replacement was missing a mosfet heatsink and had 'goop' all over the back of the mobo. -1 for Asoose.

does the mobob have a bult in speaker?
Where did you RMA staright to ASUS or the reseller... cause i got mine a while ago and I don't have the box anymore and I bought it off of NCIX.xom's ebay store... was an open box special (should have known)
Ive gotten it to boot a few times with one stick of ballistix ... had to change it from front slot to back vlack slot and back again. This is getting weird I really can't pinpoint the problem.
One minute i think its the ram and the next i think its the board.
Someone help please!

Its the board. I went through the same crap with one of my p5k premiums. On reboot or startup i would get the dam memory beeps so after jerking the memory around in the different slots it would work for a day a week even up to a month. Finally i sent my ballistix back thinking that was the problem. When i got the new ram back i popped it in thinking im good to go. Well guess what same problem right off the bat. I tried the new ram in another p5k premium and it worked fine with no beeps or anything. I then tried the ram i was running in my other p5k which i knew was good and here come the freaking beeps again. I sent the board back to asus and i recieved the new board in the mail 2 days ago. Yesterday i tested it out and there were no beeps. Im going to put everything back together today and see what happens. Hopefully the board they sent me back doesn't have the same problem. Ill let you know how it goes.

Does it do that out of the case? I just went through a problem where my xfx nforce 680i LT I was putting in the guest room wouldn’t boot up. Was almost ready to take it to the range and put a 44 magnum in it. Well to make a long story short I read that it had a strange problem where it wouldn’t boot up even if you cleared cmos if you had two sticks of memory in it. Took one out and up it came. Turned it off and put the other stick in it and it works. Happy me. Put the board in the case, plug it all in and zip nada same bs. Guess I had two problems. I found that if I stuck an ESd bag behind the CPU backplane on the motherboard it would boot up just fine. I guess the backplane was shorting out on the cheap case I put it in. Anyway I hope ya fix it. Like I said, I was really going to shot my board and was looking at Newegg for one just before I read up on the memory thing. :)

OK so i called up Asus this moroning and they told e there is now speaker on that board... maybe there is on nother revision but i think i have the original revision. I know i seen a spot on the mobo where it says speaker but there is just an empty spot.
They told me to hook up an external case speaker and pull the memory and of it beeps then its not the board. Did that and i get no beeps so i think its the board.
NO I did not test it out of the case. Will try that before i rma it but everything points to the mobo.
Anyone know if Asus will just replace the board or will they try to fix the board?

First they will try to fix it and if they can't they will send you a refurbished one. The one i got back was a refurbished one. I marked it with a special ink so i would know if they sent me the same one back.

I had a problem like that on a video card once it was a molex pin that was stretched out, pinched it down prob gone...

My P5k Prem. is giving me problems too... in fact I guess it has ever since I got it. It was also an Open Box Special from newegg. I have serious issues with cold boots. I can only boot it in safe mode at the moment. As soon as I change any setting in the bios it will not reboot properly. It also won't run with all 4 memory slots populated (4x1GB Ballistix), though it used to just fine. I dunnno, this thing gives me fits... it'll work great for a month or more and then start these boot problems all over again. But in between boot issues, I can clock my Q6600 to 3.8GHz. That and the fact that it won't work with any of my WD hard drives makes me want to rebuild again.

Sorry I couldn't really help, but I am sympathetic to your plight.

Just hooked a case speaker up to the mobo and took out all ram and booted no beeps nothing, so it looks as though iam rmaing tomorrow
Thanks for everyones help and i will let everyone know what happens when i get it back.
BTW anyone know the turn around for rma's?

about a month or so.. this is my second p5k deluxe, ive had it for about a year now, its been very good to me. my first one died, rma time for me up in canada, was about a month.. that board, and this newer one, both hated my ocz pc8500. ive had about 9 or 10 kits of various blends of d9gmh, from what ive seen with it, it just doesnt like some strains heh. i know mine definately does not like ocz. it ate thru some ballistix, but it seems to really like gskills, im referring to my board, because this is the only serious system i get to play with :(

Total turn around time for my rma was less than 2 weeks. First time i ever returned a board before. Just make sure you call asus and not email them you will be alot better off. Be patient when you call because they will probably put you on hold at first but they will get around to you eventually. Also make sure you read the rma email real good and do exactly what they tell you so you have a clean and fast rma process. For the first time for me using asus to rma i give them a 10+ in the professional way and the amount of time the whole process took. And by the way i have the new board i just got back from them in my main tower now and it booted up first try running at 3.6 and stable. No more ram beeps,crosses fingers, Good luck.:)

Back