• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Motherboard that supports 478/775 and DDR/DDR2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cyborg

The Asus MB of one of my rig went bad and I decided to replace it.
I have a different gaming rig and this one will be used as backup/internet surfing etc.

Here is what I have:

Asus P4B533-E (this is what I need to replace)
P4 3.0 @ 151FSB = 3.4Ghz
AVC 117140 - Sunflower HSF (max 42° C)
ATI Radeon 9800Pro
APACER 1GB (2X512) DDR PC2700-333MHz @ 1:1
Antec 450W PS

This is what I would like to do:
Get a new MB and use all components of my old rig except the graphics card.
I have an extra 1950pro, so I'd like to have a PCI instead a AGP slot.
I also have some spare SATA drives, so I'd like to put in an IDE and a SATA drive.
That is the minimum must do.
Now, I'd really like to get a MB that also supports in addition a 775 CPU and DDR2 memory.
This way I could use components later on when I upgrade my game rig for this new/revived one.
Is there such a MB?
Which would be a reasonably priced one < $100.00?

Thanx for any help.

To the best of my knowledge:
478 has pins while 775 has pad layouts on the CPUs. Plus they are completely different sizes, there are no boards, as CGR said, that would accommodate both, not to mention DDR/DDR2 differences. There would really be no benefit in, if even possible, offering both. You'd be better off building a budget 775 setup and using the 478 as a backup or smoothwall.

that's what I was afraid of.
Is there at least a MB that supports PCI graphics with the 478 socket?
Otherwise I guess I just have to get another of the same MB to replace it.

Quote me If I am wrong but I am sure all motherboards have PCI slots that you can insert a PCI video card into. Allthough, being PCI, the highest you are going to find in Nvidia is a 6200 and in Radeon, a 2400 Pro.

If you are indeed looking for a socket 478 board with PCI-e slot, Biostar makes one you can buy from Newegg. The P4M900M4 is what it is.

PCI-E is what I meant.
I saw that board on the egg.
Thanx.
Is that the only one or is there something better you guys would know of?

Back