• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

post your p5q3 overclock settings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eliteoneXP

I just got this board today and it seems extremely finiky as far as overclocking goes. It will not do the same speed as my p5e3 did (380fsb) and I'm using the same voltages and whatnot. Could those of you with this board post your overclock along with all of your voltages please?

I'd sure appreciate if anyone could chime in here...

I'm just running stock settings..

but when I pumped it up to 421 x 9.5 = 4.01GHz I left everything on auto except the
vcore = 1.325v
and
vDimm = 2.0v

it wasn't 100% stable but I did get Dual Prime to run for over 4 hours before 1 core failed.
Super PI 8m stable, I did NOT try 16M or 32M

EDIT: on a side note, I have a decent H20 cooled set up... but Asus probe said my cpu temps were 67C-70C under load???
while Real Temp said about 60C under load...
that's quite a difference?

also, this is my first Intel OC.. I know they run hot.. but is 60C-65C load temps too much?

TIA for any help

Last edited:
60c sounds high if your at stock under water for that cpu... its IHS is soldered to the die so your temps would be lower then a E7000 or lower 45nm cpu. i would remount the WB and apply new or different TIM to the IHS. if the temps dont get better then something in the loop must be a at fualt or having a issue. For your load temps trust coretemp/real temp over asus probe. i dont use load temps, i go by delta to TJmax in core temp. Options ->settings, check off delta to TJ, then click ok... for 45nm i follow a 30c buffer to listed TJmax.

Now when you did auto on everything its hard to tell what voltage you needed to up to make the cpu stable. as it could be a touch more cpuv or CPUVTT was needed or you even needed to lower the CPUGTL %'s in the bios...

First I suggest to read the "HowTo" sticky above. You may not understand everything at the beginning but keep on revisiting it. Then start from stock settings. Starting the middle of things is difficult.

The first steps will be easy,
1) Set your RAM voltage to its stock value and other settings to auto.
2) Raise the FSB in reasonably small steps (10-25 Mhz). I often start with 25 but decrease the step size as I progress.
3) After you made some OC progress start testing for stability (for example run Prime95).
4) When it starts becoming unstable (a thread in Prime95 often fails or your machine crashes), add some voltage to the CPU.

Lots of more detailed steps can be used (and the sticky will guide you through those) but the 4 above are the real basic steps.

Yes temps sound high. Follow Evilsizer's suggestions, reset etc.

EDIT: If you have the latest versions of CoreTemp and RealTemp, the correct Tjmax will be used. Earlier version will be in error for 45nm CPUs.

Last edited:
You guys are awesome! :attn:

thx for the help..

I can double check the WB to make sure it's seated correctly... I used AS5 Thermal paste.

I did find a couple of goodies like memset.. so that will give me (and you) a better Idea of WTF i'm doing :D hehehe...

also my 4GHz settings are infact 32M Super PI stable... here are some quick screenies to show my settings... btw, these are the same settings used to obtain 4 hours stable under orthos...

Also... I don't know what CPU VTT is... you're the second person to mention it to me.. I'm just using AUTO right now...

Lastly, what sticky?... the AW9D BIOS setting:confused: EDIT: NM.. you mean the link to the sticky in your sig.. thx

thx again.. here are my settings

Attachments

• superPI_32M_4GHz.JPG
    superPI_32M_4GHz.JPG
    162.9 KB · Views: 4,602
  • superPI_stress.JPG
    superPI_stress.JPG
    147.4 KB · Views: 4,559
Last edited:
Also...

I always used, MBM5, A64 tweaker for my monitoring...

what do you guys suggest for util's?

Also, this BIOS sucks big time... are there any modded / better BIOS'es.... if so can anyone point me in the right direction..

thx again

for the record you cpu is only 1 thread 32m stable... superpi is not SMP/Multi thread for dual or quad cores. you need to copy the superpi folder to make another then run 2 at once.

now i think deep is refering to this sticky
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=515316

stability testing:
Orthos - small FFT's for cpu, large for ram, blend for both. (blend will also stress the NB)
Prime95 (smp version or just run 2 instances of prime95-non-smp) - same here small/large/blend.
SuperPi 32m(need more then one folder of this to run more then one instance)
Memtest86 (good for testing ram, you can get a ISO to burn to a cd) **its self loading no os needed**

now if small FFT's fails but memtest doesnt then its more cpu votlage/cpuvtt,CPUGTL needs lowering. now if you get both small FFT's and memtest to pass but Blend in orthose/prime95 fails then you need more NB voltage.

with the board you have CPUVTT should be in there but under another name. i dont recall what it is atm...

for the record you cpu is only 1 thread 32m stable... superpi is not SMP/Multi thread for dual or quad cores. you need to copy the superpi folder to make another then run 2 at once.
thx, I didn't know that... what does SMP mean?... multi core obviously, but what does it stand for?
now i think deep is refering to this sticky
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=515316
Big thx!
stability testing:
Orthos - small FFT's for cpu, large for ram, blend for both. (blend will also stress the NB)
Prime95 (smp version or just run 2 instances of prime95-non-smp) - same here small/large/blend.
SuperPi 32m(need more then one folder of this to run more then one instance)
Memtest86 (good for testing ram, you can get a ISO to burn to a cd) **its self loading no os needed**
I knew all that, and have them all... except the smp stuff.. but I run dual prime

now if small FFT's fails but memtest doesnt then its more cpu votlage/cpuvtt,CPUGTL needs lowering.
I knew that
now if you get both small FFT's and memtest to pass but Blend in orthose/prime95 fails then you need more NB voltage.
I didn't know that, but it makes sense.. thx!
with the board you have CPUVTT should be in there but under another name. i dont recall what it is atm...
CPUGTL maybe... I don't know what CPUGTL is...

thx a bunch man... really helps:D

Last edited:
Thx Evil, you're a great help!

plz don't take my post the wrong way, I just wanted you guys to know that I'm not a complete newb... just a newb with intel...

GOOD News!

Thx to your guys help I just got 4.0GHz Dual Prime Stable!!

Attachments

• orhtos3D01_4GHz.JPG
    orhtos3D01_4GHz.JPG
    181 KB · Views: 4,603
i didnt take it the wrong way at all. :) i just have the habit of saying things weither the person knew it or not... :soda:

push it higher now come on!!!

i didnt take it the wrong way at all. :) i just have the habit of saying things weither the person knew it or not... :soda:

push it higher now come on!!!

heheh.. I'm looking to do just that... I wanna dial her in a lil more then she what she can do... hell 90% of the settings are still auto... this baby's a winner.

I'm happy with 4GHz for now... but after my trip when I get back home next week you can bet I'll be pushing for more:beer:

If you can post up a pic of the voltage section of the bios Darien it should be fairly easy to point you towards the VTT setting. I will say though, that at your current bus speed (421) you almost certainly don't need to move VTT any higher than it's present default position. With the E8500's and E8600's you will only need it above 500fsb, and even then you won't need more than 1.17v. GTL settings need to come into play as well, once VTT is above default.

I'm back...

OK so the CPU VTT is the FSB termination voltage...

Good News.. I just got 421 x 905 stable with my RAM at 1685MHz!

I'm so new to DDR3 I didn't realized that the main difference is the divider you're using.. I could get 500FSB easily.. all auto settings when using a lower divider.. but when I went 1:2 then things got tough...

still I got almost 12 hours prime stable... but then it errors...

SO... I updated my old 0605 BIOS to the newest 1306 BIOS and then I got over 15 hours dual prime stable with no errors.... I think the main reason is that this bios doesn't under volt the cpu nearly as much as the 0605 BIOS...

even though it was stable it ran way too hot.. I'll have to lower the vcore, and redo the Thermal paste...

here's is a quick screenie

Attachments

• orthos1306.JPG
    orthos1306.JPG
    164.7 KB · Views: 4,483
QUESTION:

Is there anyway to find out what voltage the motherboard is using when it's set to auto?

this would be a huge help in setting the NB volts, CPU VTT and others?

is maybe the NB vcore VIN3 in the hardware monitor? VIN1 CPU VTT ???

any help on this would be appreciated.
thx

I've seen alot of people say that the auto on some boards has a wide variance of voltage and so most suggest to set it at a certain number. But I don't have my own board to play with. =(

You should be able to check your Auto Vcore and VRAM in BIOS b4 you boot. Assuming you have them set to auto of course.

You should be able to check your Auto Vcore and VRAM in BIOS b4 you boot. Assuming you have them set to auto of course.

Well it does say the Vcore... but not vDimm... however I have manually set both of those... it's the other less obvious settings that I wish you could see in (or out of) the BIOS...

near as I can tell ASUS simply didn't install voltage senosrs for anything other than the vcore and the PSU rails... I've been posting on the ASUS support forums as well...

all programs, including everest, as well as the BIOS only give reading for Vcore and the rails.... which totally suck the big one IMO... because the AUTO settings are 100% stable for me at this point, but to go further, I'd need to bump some of them a little bit... and without knowing where I'm starting from, that certainly makes things much more difficult. :shrug:

Back