• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem with E8400 temp. on Maximus Formula

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

alimute

Hi guys,
I just installed my E8400 on Asus Maximus Formula and everything seems ok except that the cpu temp. shown in bios goes up to 100 C in less than a minute after starting the system! I haven't installed any cooling system except the original fan and heatsink that came with the cpu which according to what bios says works with a speed around 1900 RPM. I haven't done any OC, and the motherboard is on it's defult settings. Motherboard, NB and SB temp. are around 25~35 C.

So this is my question:
I know I should get something a lot better than the CPU's original fan, what I want to know is that is this cpu temp. normal considering the fan? or something's wrong with my MB or CPU or my settings? is this normal to have a 100 C cpu temp. with cpu's original fan and heat sink when system is not even boot completely!?

MB: Asus Maximus Formula
CPU: Intel E8400
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tracer 1066
VGA: Asus GeForce N6600 / 256MB / 128 BIT
PSU: ACBel 500 Watt Real

100C is not normal and the HSF is not on properly.

The stock fan pegs need quite a bit of force, you should hear a 'click' noise on all 4 pegs. Once you have done this you will see a HUGE improvement in CPU temps.

If you're still having problems with temps, try upgrading the BIOS revision.

I agree, stock HSF should not have temps that high...turn off pc and remove HSF clean off thermal compound, and start over.

Most important...apply only a small rice grain sized amount of thermal compound on the cpu then mount the HSF

Most common mistake...is TOO MUCH thermal compound it only take a small small amount, you want the thermal compound layer as thin as possible, but still just enough to cover the whole HSF/CPU.

Make sure the 4 stock HSF mount pin are installed correctly.

Hey, Thank you guys!
one of the pins wasn't installed correctly, I can't believe that it had this great impact on HSF performance. the CPU temperature reduced to 35 C after reinstalling the HSF. :)

Back