• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NEWBIE: Mutiple problems BIOSTAR MOBO PLEASE HELP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Automiketic

This is my first post so be gentle. ;) All of my computer componets are listed below. I have a masscool cpu cooler, 2 120mm fans (one in front(intake) one in back(exhaust) a dual fan 450w power supply, a side 80mm fan(brining in cool air) and a rear exhausting pci slot fan. I list my fans because I am still have heating issuses under prime 95 stress test. My cpu peaked at 59C. I have the computer overclocked to 2.61 ghz. Vcore is at 1.325V. Is my setup the cause of my cooling issues or am i pushing the cpu too much? I have read that others had theirs clocked to 3.2 so i cant imagine why this would be too much. My next problem is I cant get the comp too boot if i push it past this point? It doesnt seem to pick up my harddrive when i push it any farther. It's 150g sata hard drive. What could cause this, once again am i pushing it too far? Finally with the 4 1gb chips of ram installed my computer only says i have 3.25gb, is this normal or is some being used for the mobo? I dont have onboard video so i cant imagine some is being used for that. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance. sorry for the grammatical errors.

I would reseat the heatsink on the cpu to begin with and make sure you have as5 (artic silver 5) on the cpu Those temps arent way off for stress testing but a little high. Win xp-vixta 32bit wont see but 3.25 gigs of ram you need 64bit to see all 4 gigs. As for overclocking you need to use your memory strap to slow down the memory to specs to run higher I bet. Look in bios for memory settings @ your 2.61 ghz settings and see if the memory is running toooo high and back it down 1 setting. ALLEN

i just reseated the cooler 2 days ago and i did use artic silver 5. as for the memory the only settings i have are for voltage and frequency im running at 667mhz(actually 333). should i back that down?

Do you have your pcie locked at 100? If not that is probably why its not seeing your harddrive once you push it to a certain point. If you push your pcie to far out of spec you will have hardware and software problems up the ying yang.

Yeah, lock the PCIe at 100. Don't let it choose auto.

Can you post your bios settings? Like divider, FSB freq, all voltages. You may be cranking up vcore higher than needed. Also you may be overclocking your ram. I don't know how your bios is setup with the divider and all that so posting that info would help.

Also, download/install CPUz. It will allow you to verify your bios settings through Windows, and see what voltages and timings you are really getting.

ok i have the pci locked at 100. it has been from the start not the problem. ram is not overclocked in fact i even tried turning it down. im not in front of my computer right now to post the rest but will when i get home tonight. as far as the divider, are u speaking of the ram divider i dont seem to have an option for this but i know it shows up in cpuz. ill post that later as well. thanks for the help

ok im home now heres what i have as far as bios features:

cpu voltage: i have set to +.025 which reads 1.232v under cpuz.
memory voltage: i have left alone its set to 1.8v
nb/sb voltage: i have left this alone as well set to 1.55v
fsb voltage: also havent played with set to 1.2v
cpu clock: 237mhz stock is 200mhz i have an 11x multiplier
i cant seem to get past this point. this translates to little over 2.6
stock is 2.2. i want to get to 3
system ram frequency: 667mhz
pci: 33.33mhz which is stock.
pcie: changed from auto to 100mhz. doesnt help.

i also have the ability to change my ram timing i have left this alone and it reads: 5-5-5-15-21. and my fsb:dram shows 3:5 in cpuz. i cant seem to find a way to change this in the bios nor the cpu multiplier. hope this helps i am lost.

dont know if this will help or not but this what the comp says when i try and push it past 2.6: DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

this comes up even when i dont have any other drives hooked up besides the hard drive. what the hell am i doing wrong i have stablized temps and i dont really think im pushing my vcore to far or the proccessor. so wtf? please help i need more speed!

no solutions. . . and i thought between all the people on this board that someone could figure this out. is really that rare to occur or is it cause i am a newb?

Back