• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EVGA 680i Yorksfield?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

don256us

Uber Folding Senior
Any one know if the 680i will EVER support the 45nanometer quads?

I'm thinking they won't but I'm hoping some one has heard different.

i have seen one person here actually try, it does run but only at stock speed. any ocing results in a no bootup situation. 600's only offically support 45nm dual cores, NV stated there were issues when tring to run 45nm quads. if you want 45nm quad core support with sli you looking at a new board, either 750i/780i/790i. though i would try to get you to change you mind on a sli board. the Ati 4800's in cf are looking really good right now. $400 for 2 4850's and it matches a single GTX280 card at $250 less. if you think you want to go that route then look at the new P45 based boards. namly the Asus P5q-Pro or higher end DLX board.

Don256, I would never try to sell outside of the classifieds because that's against the rules, and I really like posting here. If I were to try to sell outside the classifieds again, I would have to find somewhere else to post, and that would suck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Don256, I would never try to sell outside of the classifieds because that's against, the rules, and I really like posting here. If I were to try to sell outside the classifieds again, I would have to find somewhere else to post, and that would suck!

Couldn't have said it better myself

i have seen one person here actually try, it does run but only at stock speed. any ocing results in a no bootup situation. 600's only offically support 45nm dual cores, NV stated there were issues when tring to run 45nm quads. if you want 45nm quad core support with sli you looking at a new board, either 750i/780i/790i. though i would try to get you to change you mind on a sli board. the Ati 4800's in cf are looking really good right now. $400 for 2 4850's and it matches a single GTX280 card at $250 less. if you think you want to go that route then look at the new P45 based boards. namly the Asus P5q-Pro or higher end DLX board.

It's good to know that I can at least run the 45nm quads. Too bad I won't be able to OC. Since I JUST got my Pentium D a few months ago along with the 680i, I'm happy to have the upgrade path.

I always thought that I wanted SLI so I got the 680i. But the more I read, the less benefit I see for me and my 20" wide screen. But I bought the 680i recently with upgrades in mind. I just wanted to see where that upgrade path ends.

cw823. lol You are a funny guy. Really. (I'm not being sarcastic.)

With a budget oriented setup I doubt there is any real advantage in having a 45nm quad over a 65nm one.

@ cw823, I know you guys take a lot of crap from trolls and immature members, but to be fair that was pretty rude and very unfunny.

i would have liked to see 680i support 65nm quads properly, cept those freakish few that got amazeing results, you know who you are. you got a freak board, thats all. to the rest, 680i is not the greatest, you can easily do beter. i love the boot times, everything else after that, well you could tell you were useing an inferior chipset, as compared to intels. maybe 680i= i975 give or take a nut hair.

My Q9450 worked on a 680i, but could not overclock, only got an increase of 100Mhz and was unstable. Just go for 780i if you need 45nm Quad and Sli...

To be clear, I already own the 680i. I've only owned it for a few months. I'm not buying a new board. I just wanted to gauge how far I could go with this board.

I've got a good OC with my Pentium D 925. Some day it will not be enough for me and I'll get something newer.

Thanks all.

Back