• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Capacitor squeal on P5K.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WorshipMe

Just got my P5K back today :). I installed a Q6600, and I'm getting capacitor squeal, at that's what I've narrowed it down to. I can't see any bulging, what do you guys think?

I recall the squealing capacitors back in the 965/975 days. I did read some ppl solved the issue by using some type of glue over the offender. There must be some threads about it somewhere in the forum.

It's defintely a squeal. more pronounced underload. Much like the capacitor squeal made by video cards when running the ATItool fur test, but more on and off.

Are you sure its not the PSU? Is it an always on thing or intermittent?
It's not the PSU, I'm using the same components, except I just swapped out the MSI for the P5K, so I know it's the motherboard. I can definitely hear it coming from the motherboard.

And it's not a constant sound, it is on and off during idle, but really starts squealing during Prime95. Overclocking doesn't seem affected at all though...

Back