• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU for a Asus P2B-LS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WaSSted

I got a PIII 800 for my P2B-LS and it wont work.. anyone know what the problem may be?? I have upgraded the bios to the latest. I keep reading that people are getting 800's to work in the p2b's but I cant seem to get one to work in my p2b-ls. The processor im trying to use is a sl457 slot 1.

I think you're out of luck, but there might be a way to get it to work.
The problem is that you have a slot1 CPU and its supposed to run @ 1.65 CV, but the P2B doesn't like 0.05 V adjustments, also the older P2B's only go down to 1.8V (the newer P2B's go down to 1.6V).

It MIGHT work when you do some VID "wiring"/Taping, but I need to know which revision you have (look between the 1st and 2nd ISA slot) and/or if you want to OC it, cuz you might be able to VID tape it to 1.6V but that won't be good for OCing.

You also need to have the latest BIOS (1012 or up).

The other peeps that got it to work probably used a FC-PGA chip with a slocket.

Let me (us) know if you're willing to try the VID taping, and I'll D/L the datasheet and have a look what the possibilities are.

I can't guarantee you that it will work (your taking a small risk damaging the CPU, but you might have damaged it already).

**EDIT** BTW Welcome to the forums

I have the 1.02

I also have a slocket convertor, I dont remember what brand it is but it does have the voltage settings on it.. it currently has a 366 celeron at 566 in it at 2.1 volts. I would assume staying with the slocket would be the best thing but you have me curious as to how this VID/taping works..

THanks for the help

Oh another question, what is the fastest cpu I can put on this motherboard using the slocket 370 convertor?

WaSSted said:
I would assume staying with the slocket would be the best thing
It would be the easiest way and also the best way to get a 800+ CPU running on your board.
WaSSted said:
but you have me curious as to how this VID/taping works..
[Crappy Mode]Its pretty easy, there are a few VID pins on your CPU that are either open or closed, you can't open the ones that are closed (Internally connected to Vss) but you can connect the ones that are open to Vss.
The VID pins tell your mobo at what voltage the CPU should operate, by VID wiring you fool the mobo by telling it to operate at a different voltage as what the CPU should work on.[/Crappy Mode]
Hope it makes some sense cuz I'm not really good when it comes to explaining things.
***EDIT*** on a slot1 CPU you are able to open VID pins (by taping them) tho I'm not sure if it will work (worked on the older PII CPU's so I guess it will)
WaSSted said:
Oh another question, what is the fastest cpu I can put on this motherboard using the slocket 370 convertor?

AFAIK that would be a 1.1GHz (SL5QW), tho some ppl had/have problems to get a 1.1GHz celeron running on their P3V4X, which I find kinda strange cuz they are basicly the same as the 1GHz celerons (NOT the 'A' versions) and there are several ppl that have a 1GHz celeron running on their P3V4X.

BTW: should I take the time to look at the datasheets and tell you how to do the VID taping?(IF possible) (I wanted to do this before but that part of the Intel site seemed to be down).

Nah, its cool, unless you really want to :)

Im just trying to find the best route to take in upgrading this motherboard. Like I said before, I have the 366 celeron running at 566. I like it alot because it is so stable, and I would basically consider overclocking a cpu again as long as it is as reliable as this one and I dont have to do all kinds of crazy things to get it stable. So if you have any advice as to what I should look into that would be great.. I need something that I know is going to work, I dont want to have to deal with any "well it might work" stuff. As for now im leaning toward the celeron 800 socket 370. I figure if I get it, I just see what I can o/c it to and just live with it.. but if you know of something better, im all ears..

Thanks for all the help.

Back