• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

150W PowerSupply for AMD CPU!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Luie

Can it be stable for the AMD if I give it 150W Power Supply on a MSI KT266A chipset MicroATX motherboard.

The most powerful PS for a SlimATX case is 150W. I am worried that my slim pc will be unstable...

Will it be alright to use a 150W on a Althon XP?

I doubt it, you can try, but I really really doubt thats anywhere near enough. I have trouble with a 235 powering a duron 700.

if it were me i would be looking at something alot bigger, i don't use anything under 300W

how many drives are you going to be running???
what video card are you going to be running???

If its a very good brand power supply it should run the cpu but with no extra fans, one old harddrive like those 3400rpm ones, and basically no sound card.

Here are the specs for my system with a 145W PSU. It IS possible.

Inwin case with 145W PSU
Gigabyte GA-7ZMM
Duron 1Ghz (Morgan)
392MB Memory
Gainward Cardexpert Geforce2 MX w/Twinview
SB Live!
NIC
20GB IBM HD 7200 RPM
TDK 16x10x40 And it all works just fine and I even have it under full load all the time with Folding.

I wouldn't put my finger on it and that PSU won't do if your overclocking.

If you run alot of drives and take alot of PCI ports and fans power is going to be a serious problem.

this HP im currently working on has a Athlon 900 a 45 gig 7200 rpm hard drive, and 2 cdroms, tnt riva with 64mb, a nic, modem, soundcard,running off a 185 psu.... everything runs fine though

some companies like e-machines, HP and compaq use the little bitty PSU's. I've never used anything that small since 486 days tho'

buy a generic elcheapo case with a 300W PSU from your local computer shop....it will cost probly about $40

What I mean is a ps for a slim pc because I want a small pc. I am planning to build a:

Athlon XP 1500+
KingMax ram 256MB DDR 2400
MSI mobo that uses KT266A chipset (forgot which model)
Panasonic 24x10x40 cd-rw
Panasonic Floppy Drive
A low profile form of Radeon 7500
onboard sound.
2 fans (1 for cpu and 1 for gpu)

So, a 150W ps for my system will be fine?

A 250Watt PSU will be pushing it, I would reccomend a 300Watt PSU or higher otherwise you will HAVE problems.

You should be able to get a slimline PSU that 300Watt from somewhere.

No it doesnt matter if its 300watt psu if its a generic one. Do not get a generic psu!! it might screw up ur proccessor and mobo. Ur better of getting a high quality 250watt psu then a low quality 300watt.

Back