• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

In market for new mobo.. possibley (P45/X48)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deathman20

High Speed Premium Senior
Only reason why I'd be looking into new mobo's right now is so I could run a crossfire setup.

I'm looking at 2x 4870's right now but with my current board only having 16x4 for PCI-E pipes thats not an option IMO. Unless the 4870X2 comes out in a 2Gig veriaty (1Gig per card) not sure I'm totally intrested in that but who knows I'll have to see.

So if the 4870X2 isn't an option then 2 cards is which means new board.

New board I'd love to get WiFi back on track, and has to have Intel Matrix RAID so I can use my drive still. 4Gigs of ram, and a few USB slots in back (lacking this currently on my current board only have a few). As well getting PCI-E 2.0 would be a nice added bonus that I definatly wouldn't mind at all.

Whats out there that people recommend.

There was a recent review that showed crossfire on the P45s getting a hit with the new 4850s because of not having two true 16x lanes. Since crossfire is your goal, I would get a x38/x48 board from either ASUS, Gigabyte or DFI. They're all supposed to be solid performers.

the only hit on them in CF was when running higher then 1920x1200 with aa/af on. P45 is still a good chipset for a CF setup... If you just have to have the best then get a Asus based X38 or X48 board... otherwise if you cant stand the price of X38/X48 then get the Asus P5Q-DLX.

Hmmm guess I gotta think about it a wee bit more and well of course wait and see when the X2 is released. Just wanted to get some idea's and I know since ideally I'd love to do all gaming at 1920x1200 with at least AF, this would be ideal. From the results already AA looks like its totally possible as well. More bones to spend always gets the mind thinkin a little more.

The results on the Crysis bench is wow from what I saw in a difference. Even some of the other benches showing a decent performance difference between the 2 boards. Thats what got me thinking about this.

Honestly, what I would do if I were you is get the P5Q Deluxe, or any other good P45 board, and then gobble up the 4870x2 whenever that comes out. According to someone on these forums, the 3870x2 performed better than 2x 3870 in CF so I'd expect the same for the 4870s.

Honestly, what I would do if I were you is get the P5Q Deluxe, or any other good P45 board, and then gobble up the 4870x2 whenever that comes out. According to someone on these forums, the 3870x2 performed better than 2x 3870 in CF so I'd expect the same for the 4870s.

Well the reason why considering 2x in X-Fire would be for the aspect of more ram on the card which could give better performance at the high res than what the X2 card would carry. Then at that the only reason to buy a new board would be for the 2x cards.

I know there is still time was just trying to get an idea of what is out there that people like currently. Since I don't think its going to change in the next 3 months with boards anyways.

P45 oc's nasty but the only way you really even feel it is if you're trying to run fsb's past 600MHz. :S

X38/X48 are definitely a little faster clock for clock than P35 even without CF (well, enough to annoy me, but probably no one else). If you're considering CF I'd say the deal is sealed for an X38, there's no reason not to get one. The overclock will be the same and the performance better. P45 is a great chipset but CF has never been good on 16x/4x.

Btw I dunno what the difference between the two is but the P5E Deluxe is just 5 bucks more than the P5E.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131317

Hmmm guess I gotta think about it a wee bit more and well of course wait and see when the X2 is released. Just wanted to get some idea's and I know since ideally I'd love to do all gaming at 1920x1200 with at least AF, this would be ideal. From the results already AA looks like its totally possible as well. More bones to spend always gets the mind thinkin a little more.

The results on the Crysis bench is wow from what I saw in a difference. Even some of the other benches showing a decent performance difference between the 2 boards. Thats what got me thinking about this.

I'm in pretty much the same situation. I want to replace my 8800GTS SLI setup with a pair of 4870X2s because 1920x1200 is the minimum res I play at (I swap between a 24" and 30" Dell LCD)

I was looking at the GIGABYTE GA-X48-DQ6 but have seen that the recently-added reviews of it at the Egg are pretty horrendous over the last few weeks. (Maybe a bad batch?)

The ASUS P5Q-E seems pretty decent at first glance (it was suggested to me in another thread here) but I am a bit worried about the PCI-Express slots operating at x8 when two cards are used. If it impacts the performance at 1920x1200 or higher then that hits me right where I play at most...

I think I'll hold off for now as well and see how the 4870X2 benches shape up and upgrade the cards and mobo at that time.

I'm in pretty much the same situation. I want to replace my 8800GTS SLI setup with a pair of 4870X2s because 1920x1200 is the minimum res I play at (I swap between a 24" and 30" Dell LCD)

I was looking at the GIGABYTE GA-X48-DQ6 but have seen that the recently-added reviews of it at the Egg are pretty horrendous over the last few weeks. (Maybe a bad batch?)

The ASUS P5Q-E seems pretty decent at first glance (it was suggested to me in another thread here) but I am a bit worried about the PCI-Express slots operating at x8 when two cards are used. If it impacts the performance at 1920x1200 or higher then that hits me right where I play at most...

I think I'll hold off for now as well and see how the 4870X2 benches shape up and upgrade the cards and mobo at that time.

Yeah think thats where Im sitting as well now. Really got to wait and see what happens. No major games coming out here soon that im worried about performance issues with at this time so late summer/early fall upgrade with GPU's which will be my longest time in years for upgrading the GPU.

ive got a rampage x48 on the way to me, cant wait :)

i thought about p45, but i wanted 16x/16x, and the price was ok. about what i paid for my current mobo when it was brand spankin new. those new ati's haul something fierce, and i dont want to run an nvidia chipset just for sli.

Yeah think thats where Im sitting as well now. Really got to wait and see what happens. No major games coming out here soon that im worried about performance issues with at this time so late summer/early fall upgrade with GPU's which will be my longest time in years for upgrading the GPU.

I broke down and ordered a DFI LAn Party X38 board and Yorkfield CPU today just to get that out of the way...

If the 4870X2 comes out near the end of July, and are decently priced, I'll be ready to grab a pair of them.

If not, or they cost an obscene amount of money, I'll stick a GTX-280 in my case and be done with it.

In either case, my friend Karl is making out well since he will be getting my eVGA 780i, Kentsfield Quadcore, and (2) GTS512s for a great price.

for the same price as the GTX280 the 4870's in CF would be a better option and cost the same. those 4870's are running $309 atm at newegg...

Actually I was looking at the mobo's again going for either the X38 or X48's for the dual 16x lanes.

What really is the major difference between these 2 chip sets? Guess I'm not totally following what the huge difference between them. Speed tweaks or better OC's really don't bother me due to the fact I surely won't be going over 500Mhz on my ram since I don't think I'd like it.

Reason why im looking into it more after seeing the 4850's in crossfire... wow they really show out, and a new mobo guess can't be horrible give me a better chance to upgrade GPU's at least in the future since not sure when I'd beable to do a full system upgrade since have a little one coming by the end of the year. Might as well make sure I get a nice upgrade now instead of no upgrade later.

x48s are supposed to just be cherry picked x38s, they have official support for 1600MHz FSB vs the x38s official 1333. You're fine with either or really.

Dribblesnort has it right, DFI LAn Party X38 is a good one. My dfi setup is what I used in the forumwars.. If you can afford it.
But I've been looking at the Maximus Formula to replace my Prem.. From what I've read, the p5e is a dog for oc'n.. I wouldn't go there. But there are good ones and there are bad ones. Luck of the draw.

Actually I was looking at the mobo's again going for either the X38 or X48's for the dual 16x lanes.

What really is the major difference between these 2 chip sets? Guess I'm not totally following what the huge difference between them. Speed tweaks or better OC's really don't bother me due to the fact I surely won't be going over 500Mhz on my ram since I don't think I'd like it.

Reason why im looking into it more after seeing the 4850's in crossfire... wow they really show out, and a new mobo guess can't be horrible give me a better chance to upgrade GPU's at least in the future since not sure when I'd beable to do a full system upgrade since have a little one coming by the end of the year. Might as well make sure I get a nice upgrade now instead of no upgrade later.

I got the X38 specifically for dual crossfire at 16x. I hear the P-series overclocks better, but I'm not all that interested in going much above 3Ghz right now anyway, so if I get to 3GHz I'm happy.

I'll pick up a pair of the overclocked 4870s in a few weeks when they are released if I can't hold out until August for the 4870X2s

Back