• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mobo Dying or...?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

leftheaded

is my mobo dying? do I need a bigger PSU?

• Everything was working fine until I installed a used QX9650 this afternoon
  • As soon as windows opened I got an error "windows media player network sharing service stopped working and was closed". can't play any audio/video using MS software (ie media player)
  • Then my system froze while browsing files in explorer (had to power off)
  • My temps are nuts too... 46 42 23 31 per Real temp, 10C higher in Coretemp (at stock clocks & volts!) They were 33 33 29 29 with an idle Q6600 @ 3.6GHz! :(
  • Just flashed to BIOS 17
  • Now my CPU Fan isn't spinning (I'm actually using it for an 80mm fan on my PWM - bolt modded)

Could installing a new CPU bork everything this bad... maybe corrupt my OS? this install is very new and patched up. I literally just installed 10 days ago.

RMA the mobo?

here's my next course of action. is this logical?
  1. pop the Q6600 back in first. if everything goes back to normal, i'll say the qx9650 is the problem
  2. if there are still issues with the Q6600, i'll reinstall the QX9650 and OS. if that fixes it, then it was a botched OS
  3. but if there are STILL problems, I'll RMA the mobo

Last edited:
I have heard some mobos have problems with certain case fans causing sporadic boots, but you state there was no problem before the swap.

A CPU swap will not corrupt the OS unless you are oc'ing from the start. If everything is on Auto I would suspect a possible loose connection on the PSU, have you used a wattage calculator?

edit - ok, now cpu-z is showing my vcore +.2v idle - correction, cpu-z is showing my vcore at 1.640 no matter what i set in the BIOS?? and uGuru isn't showing me any values.. everything is listed as diabled". this is making no sense to me

well, wattage calc says I should need 578w to run a qx9650 at stock. that's close, and i may have left out something. plus, it says i'll need 660w to run 4GHz @ 1.44v (no idea if that's what i'll run). maybe i do need more psu?

Last edited:
PWM look ok acuatlly... no worse than my q6600 :shrug:

sorry, this is big screenie. BIOS vcore = 1.35v hwmonitor is showing my cpu core under "abit uguru 2005" alternating between 1.84 and 1.34 every 5 seconds or so. and what the **** is "winbod w83627DHG"?? it matches the LPCIO of cpu-z that seems to be the vcore that cpu-z is using. :bang head

2612315612_8d02e534ba_o.jpg

edit again-
just lost another fan "aux4" this time
2612350370_370e37d8ec_o.jpg

Last edited:
popped the q6600 back in and that windows media player error went away. fans are back, temps look right, cpu-z volts look right..

damn, i guess i got a bad chip or this mobo doesn't like this chip. who knows.. **** it

UPDATE: scratch that - just froze again. this time while looking at uguru settings. looks like i need to test a new mobo or reinstall

Last edited:
UPDATE: scratch that - just froze again. this time while looking at uguru settings. looks like i need to test a new mobo or reinstall

is your bios up to date for that chip if so try clearing cmos for ten or so min.s
Rich

i tried 3 different BIOS
final 16
final 17
16 beta 10

none of them worked. i cleared the CMOS for about a minute after flasing to bios 17. is a minute not good enough? values were reset.. idk?:confused::bang head

Last edited:
Are you absolutely positive this problem is not being caused by the fans? uGuru is a quirky program, there is a ton of information over in the Abit forums. A lot of the guys/gals over there are very responsive.

Have you checked how the fans are configured in the BIOS?

Are you absolutely positive this problem is not being caused by the fans?

hmm never occurred to me the fans might be the problem. i just plug fans into the closest spot. never even bothered with looking at how they are setup in the BIOS, and the uGuru app is so buggy I only install it when I'm dealing with stuff like this... can't stand that tool. i'm downloading the manual to see what it says about using the fans

on another note, I tested on an Asus P5E VM HDMI and got the same windows error msg on first boot. Reinstalled OS and seems to be working so far, still need to patch it up and check the cpu-z/real temp stuff. didn't get to finish troubleshooting last night.. too sleepy

can't troubleshoot anything til after work today.

Back