• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8 sata when?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

silentdebuggers

Has there been any indication as to when an nvidia or Intel chipset is going to support more than 6 sata devices natively? I really wish I could have 8 sata ports connected to the mcp: 2 raided for xp, 2 raided for vista, 2 for storage, and 2 for optical.

Has there been any indication as to when an nvidia or Intel chipset is going to support more than 6 sata devices natively? I really wish I could have 8 sata ports connected to the mcp: 2 raided for xp, 2 raided for vista, 2 for storage, and 2 for optical.

Well do they all have to be running off the chipset? Cause this bad mofo has 10 SATA ports, 6 on the ICH10R and 4 on dedicated RAID controller chips.. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128343

If I ran a full ATX system, that would be the mobo for me..

wonder if there's enough usb ports on the mobo lol

Sure, just enough - each of the 4 ethernet ports needs 2 USB ports to keep it company :p

That's a real tank of a mobo.. Throw 4 PCIe RAID cards in there and you got a monster server :drool:

Wow-- I had no idea that monster m/b existed.
I may end up dumping in a bunch of pci-e cards. I don't really like the Sil 3132 series stuff, but that Sil 5723 might be awesome.

Wow-- I had no idea that monster m/b existed.
I may end up dumping in a bunch of pci-e cards. I don't really like the Sil 3132 series stuff, but that Sil 5723 might be awesome.

Toss a thread up if you do get one, would love to see someone maxing out that board :beer:

My gawd! Every time I see this Gigabyte board I keep I asking myself why would I be needing all those Ethernet ports. Ridiculously so much for a desktop system.

I hope it clocks as much as the lan ports :p

Sweet, looking closer, I see that the 2 PCIe x4 slots are open ended like the one on my board :p

You could run quadfire on that thing :p

Sweet, looking closer, I see that the 2 PCIe x4 slots are open ended like the one on my board :p

You could run quadfire on that thing :p

you could problem is...

Upper 16x slot is 16x electrical, lower 16x is 8x electrical (look at top down pic, theres a chip UNDER the slot halfway back) and the 2 4x slots are hooked together to the chip behind them and then i think are linked to the ICH via either a 4x or 1x link... which is bad either way cus the ICH has a 4x link the the NB but the ICH deals with ALL the ethernet usb........

But my god ya that thing has a PLETHORA of usb ethernet and sata ports....

Back