• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Seeking Advice (E8400 Wolfdale)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Slane420

Registered
Hello everyone,I am at the moment seeking a decent motherboard for the e8400. I been asking around and from what I gather it seems the majority say MSI and ASUS boards are one of the best out there and easy access to overclock with, the only down fall I hear about asus is their customer service sucks, but this is ok.

The type I am looking for does not need to have 2 agp expresses for video/sli/crossfire, I dont need that to be honest and the video card I have is rather decent alone. I mostly have fans for this build and have not upgraded to watercooling (dont plan too yet).

As for the price range I would gander the availability to the amount of lets say $65-$120 and $150 pushing it but could maybe afford it.

I found this ASUS P5K-E mb and would like to get your thoughts on it or if you guys have a different one to suggest?

I'm not trying to jack your thread but I'm also interested in this. I'm selling the MB, CPU, and RAM in my current rig to my brother. His old AMD Socket 939 MB died on him.

I'm going with this so far............

CPU
http://www.newegg.com:80/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16819115037

RAM
http://www.newegg.com:80/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16820231166

and I'm thinking about this for a MB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16813131296

Comments?

Nope. Looks like a winner to me :thup: I'm sure you're going with a good aftermarket cpu cooler, right?

Get an MCH cooler if you go with the GA-P35-DS3L, it gets very hot. I had the worst instability problems even at all stock settings until I finally figured out that the MCH was causing it.

I would say go with the Gigabyte board. I use one with my E8400 and it works great.

Get an MCH cooler if you go with the GA-P35-DS3L, it gets very hot. I had the worst instability problems even at all stock settings until I finally figured out that the MCH was causing it.

Or just add some AS5 or TX-2 and stick a fan on it.

Thanks for all the advice everyone! This will help me most defiantly!

Due to all your suggestions and great help these are the few that are suggested and ones that have been found due to looking around. The list below is what I have gathered so far. If it was you what one would you get and or if you had 3 to choose from what ones would be best you think?
Would appreciate a second opinion please.

Not sure if these below are p45
Asus P5E3
XFX 680i LT <- this one is nice but really expensive and hard to find.
Asus P5K Deluxe
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L <--Needs a MCH cooler but cant find them or know what they are.
ASRock 4CORE1600TWINS <- This board I heard it has a hard time with overclocking.

I think these are p45s.
Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3R
Asus P5Q Pro / Deluxe
Asus P5K-e
MSI P45 Neo2-FR
MSI P45 Neo3-FR
MSI P45 Neo-F
DFI LANPARTY DK P35-T2RS
BIOSTAR TPower I45 <- This one was on the news for overclocking to the extreme.

Oh yeah, the TRUE 120 will definately work. 4.0Ghz is very attainable ;)

I ordered all my stuff from Newegg last night. I ended up getting an E8400, 2 x 2GB of G.skill 1066 DDR2, and a Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 MB.

I went for the X48 because I know socket 775 is almost done. I figure I can sell this rig for decent money when I want to make the jump to Nehalem or if I want to hold out longer I can put together a cheap CF setup down the road.

After selling the CPU, RAM, and MB from my current rig to my brother this upgrade cost me about $150. Not bad.....

:beer:

Not sure if these below are p45

P45 is a good choice for ATX boards these days. You can find them on newegg by going to the Motherboards --> Intel Motherboards then under North Bridge select P43/P45 and click search, there's 19 of them.
P35 is a slightly older chipset that's still good but...you know...it's older.

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L <--Needs a MCH cooler but cant find them or know what they are

I use an E8400 on my DS3L and can overclock to 3.7 on a good day. I have a feeling that the MCH (Northbridge) is the culprit at the moment though, as it wont get to 4.0 Ghz yet. It's a solid board, doesn't cost a lot of money, and will give you a decent OC for the price.

Btw, the MCH is the Northbridge. Newegg has some decent coolers on their site, but you may have to look elsewhere to find the one you want. GL with your build :thup:

I use an E8400 on my DS3L and can overclock to 3.7 on a good day. I have a feeling that the MCH (Northbridge) is the culprit at the moment though, as it wont get to 4.0 Ghz yet. It's a solid board, doesn't cost a lot of money, and will give you a decent OC for the price.

Btw, the MCH is the Northbridge. Newegg has some decent coolers on their site, but you may have to look elsewhere to find the one you want. GL with your build :thup:

Yep, the stock heatsink on my DS3L used to burn my finger if I touched it longer than a few seconds so I know the contact is good. I have a feeling that a fan would help but that the design of the stock sink is still poor and prone to problems/inefficient performace.

Back