• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my 650i Ultra Motherboard the problem?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pinkyo

So I'm new to overclocking and I'm trying to figure out why I can't push my system like I've read I SHOULD be able to. Seems as though I can't even boot into windows without it resetting to defaults. I haven't yet tampered with Voltage much due to the heat risks, and because I have read that achieving 3.0 GHz with everything else set to auto (unlinking memory) is quite easy. And for now 3.0 GHz would be what I am shooting for.

This is so far what I have... hope I got it right. With these settings it runs fine and stable, but ANYTHING different or more and it either wont boot into windows without auto defaulting, or it will BSOD very soon after. Also it wont show any information/numbers while booting just "no signal" on monitor.

Main problem I know I have to watch is temps, and my stock heatsink more then likely needs to be replaced. Specially seeing that it gets fairly warm and humid (very humid) in my place. So far the Zalman CNPS9700 seems to be the most popular heatsink I come across in forums (specially on q6600's) so I'm looking at one of those. Although I am worried about the weight of the product as it is much heavier then recommended on my board.

System :
q6600 stepping b revision go
EVGA ultra 650i running bios 2.053.77(although cpu-z reports pheonix version 6.00pg)
windows xp Pro 32
G.SKILL DDR2 PC2 6400 (F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ)
EVGA e-GeForce 9600 GT 512MB (OC'd to 752/1030/1864----GPU-Z... not even sure if I could push any of these numbers higher)
Rosewill 500W ATX12V Ver 2.2 PSU (Heard this may be a problem)
Stock Intel CPU fan (Also heard this needs to be replaced)
Apevia Black X-Cruiser Case ATX Mid-Tower Case--- 120mm rear fan, 80mm side fan, 80mm top fan. (all Apevia fans)
ACER 22inchwide AL2216W 1680x1050

CPU Freq,Mhz 2678.4
CPU Multiplier 9x
FSB Mem Clock Mode (Linked)
FSB Memratio Auto
FSB(QDR),Mhz 1191
Actual FSB(QDR), MHz 1190.4
Actual Mem (DDR),mhz 892.8

System Clocks
PCIe Bus, Slot 1, MHz (100)
HT Multiplier
nForce SPP --> nForce MCP (5 x)
nForce SPP <-- nForce MCP (5 x)
HT Spread Spectrum (Disabled)
PCIe Spread Spectrum(SPP) (Auto)

Memory timings
Optimal
tcl Auto (5)
trcd Auto (6)
trp Auto (6)
tras Auto (17)
Command Per Clock Auto (2T)

Advanced Memory Setting
trrd Auto (4)
trc Auto (27)
twr Auto (6)
twtr Auto(10)
tref Auto

Cpu config
Limit CPUID MaxVal [disabled]
intell speedstep [disabled]
cpu thermal [disabled]
C1E enhanced state [disabled]
execute disable bit [enable]
Virtualization [enable]
All 4 cores enabled

System voltages
Cpu core Auto 1.28
Cpu FSb Auto 1.20
Memory Auto 1.83
nforce spp Auto 1.20

Various info
Overclocking recover [enable]
System bios cachable [disabled]
Video ram cachable [disabled]
Hpet function [enable]
Nvidia GPU ex [enable]

System monitor
Cpu 48 degrees
cpu core 1.28v
cpu FSB 1.19v
Memory 1.85v
+3.3v 3.24v
+3.3v Dual 3.26v
+12v 12.14v
+5v 4.96v
+vbat 3.04v
Cpu fanspeed 2109 RPM
nforce fan 0 RPM
chassis fan 3013 RPM

More info:

Orthos Blend test (on cores #0,#1.... only first 2 sorry) 12 hours no errors
Memtest 8 hours no errors
3D mark 06 (Basic Edition 1.1.0 free download default settings)
SCORE 12323 3D marks
--SM 2.0 Score 5161
--SM 2.0 Score 4980
--CPU Score 4258
--CPU - 2678 MHz
--Memory - 2816 MB

Please let me know if any other info is needed, or would help (think I've put too much as is). Any feedback or help/advice would be fantastic. I am very new to this so hopefully I haven't just overlooked an obvious mistake and look like a complete tool... although it seems likely. Heh.

Thanks in advance!

First, :welcome: to the forum. Glad to have you join us.

The Nvidia 600 series chipset doesn't play well with quads. 3G can happen but it seems to be different for each board with a very few overclocking well, you may have one that doesn't.

Starting from your current settings I would suggest the following:
- disable Cpu config Virtualization (probably not a big player)
- unlink memory and set everything associated with the memory at stock.
- retest
- increase CPU voltages and raise FSB in small steps (5-10Mhz) and retest. Ratchet the FSB and voltages up till it won't boot (BSOD), or tests fail, or temps too high, or your happy with where you're at.

Those are fairly simple changes to make but the testing will take some time. Good luck! :beer:

Thanks Deeppow, I'll have to test that out when I get home from work and hopefully I'll have some luck. And since its all the 600 series chipsets that are stubborn, would I be better to just invest in say a 780i/790i? That is if i intend on pushing the CPU higher.

When you say increase the CPU voltages, do you mean both the CPU core and the CPU FSB? If so, is there any increments I should be aware of as a starting point, or is there certain numbers to avoid? I thought its normally ok whatever you want to push it to, so long as the temps are ALWAYS being monitored.

My other issue was that when I do push it higher and it does boot, it's reset the BIOS to default settings somehow and I get the joy of starting over. Is that maybe fixable by increasing the voltages as well?

Thanks again for the help.
And by the way I love the Profile picture/name... I'm actually a snowboard pro so believe me when I say I wish that was me in that Pow.

im late but :welcome:!!

2 things, you have a single video card and want to get another NV based board... if your planning on sli'ing that 9600GT, dont. as it may cost you just the same amount of $$ for a new card. yes the other thing is the PSU, my friend that has got to go quick before it dies and worst case kills all your parts. this is a good replacement for cheap..
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371007
or if you can spend a touch more..
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139004

if all your going to do is stick with a single video card consider a P43 or P45 based board.

im late but :welcome:!!

2 things, you have a single video card and want to get another NV based board... if your planning on sli'ing that 9600GT, dont. as it may cost you just the same amount of $$ for a new card. yes the other thing is the PSU, my friend that has got to go quick before it dies and worst case kills all your parts. this is a good replacement for cheap..
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371007
or if you can spend a touch more..
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139004

if all your going to do is stick with a single video card consider a P43 or P45 based board.

Thanks for both the welcomes.

I will have to look into the PSU when I get home from work, didn't realize this one was as bad as it is. Unfortunately I cant order from newegg up here in Canada though, so I will have to see what www.NCIX.com or www.tigerdirect.ca has when I get home.

And I wouldn't be getting a new MoBo just for the SLI, it would be more so i could push the CPU farther... since apparently the 600 series chip sets dont like quad cores. Thats why I am wondering if it may be wise to look at a 780i/790i? The SLI capability is just a fantastic bonus.

But I would sooner get a new video card then a second 9600GT, I hear you there, thanks for the reassurance, I was a bit unsure if that would be the route to go.

I do have a concern with some of the temps i saw though. My cores spiked up to 69 once and i immediately dropped that setting. It seems that if I push the voltages at all my temps sky rocket, and since thats my next step to get the CPU higher, I am a bit concerned. It does get fairly warm here, and definatly VERY humid at times as well. Should I maybe invest in a Zalman 9700? And if so, do I need to worry about the weight of the thing being too much for my MoBo? I have been told my stock intel CPU heatsink is absolute garbage.

Thanks again for the advice.

pinkyo,

Once the question expands to new hardware then 2 follow-on questions quickly arise: 1) how will you use the computer? and 2) budget?

Also note there are certain hardware items that be useful and not dependent on which 775 motherboard you select, for example the PSU and CPU cooler. Evilsizer has already noted a couple PSUs that I'm sure you can find in Canada or other good choices will be available. For a CPU air heat sink one of the best going is the Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme (often called TRUE). Zalmans are good, not as good at cooling as the TRUE but they are quite and that is a major factor for some folks.

I might suggest that in the short term you work with the motherboard you have since it will allow you to become familiar with the process. Motherboards and their bios will change in appearance but the basics are surprisingly similar. Upgrade a few parts, like the PSU and/or CPU cooler, while you learn and experiment. Then pick another motherboard (which will probably mean new memory too) to take the next step.

Anyway as you consider new parts, it never hurts to check with the folks in that particular forum here. Lots of great folks with a world of experience --- just a suggestion.

Pro snowboarder, awesome!! I think you should stay in that half pipe and leave the powder to us poor old skiers --- just another suggestion (and one I'm sure you won't follow)! Heli-skiing anyone? :beer:

EDIT: You might also consider building a signature that lists the basic hardware you have. Saves a lot questions as you discuss issues with folks.

i says stick with NCIX, i have seen many people here from CA say good things about them. here are the same psu's a found but also found some others for you to choose as well.

sort by price,lowest to highest
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=24129&vpn=EA-500&manufacture=ANTEC
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=30037&vpn=EA650&manufacture=ANTEC
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=19832&vpn=CMPSU-520HX&manufacture=CORSAIR
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=26415&vpn=CMPSU-750TX&manufacture=CORSAIR
the EA line from antec is he only one i would trust...unless you have money to spend and start looking at their higher end stuff...

as far as motherboards go, i only consider NV if your looking to run SLI. their MATX 7000/8000 arent bad for basic setups... if you looke at a new board consider a P43/P45 board. i should have looked but a suggestion for a board would be the Asus P5Q/P5Q-E/P5Q-Pro. the latter 2 allow you to run CF if you choose to switch to ATI. as im really thinking about it for $200 US the 4850 is a killer bargin.

Back