• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quad core motherboard recommendation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Neuromancer

With the P45's out im looking to upgrade from my abit ip35 pro v1.1

I am goingto be upgrading to a quad core CPU and a 4850 (in 3 months to a 4870x2).

Was looking at the Maximus II board, but it is a little pricey still. I would really rather stay around the 200 dollar range.

IP35 pro is a great board I just want something with more voltage stability for quadcores and of course PCIE2.0 I do not care about the size EATX is fine, I have a big case, but I doubt I would find a EATX fully featured mobo in that price range with good overclocking ability. So ATX is most likely.

It is silly and not entirely necessary, but a mostly black PCB would really be nice, and if the toss up between 2 boards is one is black, thats what I will take most likely. (Everything else in the system will be black so why not ;) 4850 isnt but it is going to go into a another machine when i get the X2, which is black)

Lastly, adequate cooling without needing to by aftermarket parts. I do intend to watercool to try watercooling again in the future, but right now with the upgrades I want its not in the cards.

I am not a diehard clocker anymore, I just want to build a kick *** gaming machine. But I will be trying for 3600+ on a quad core. (not sure if I am going 6600 or 9450 yet, the 9450 will not clock as high but better performance per clock sounds nice...

The striker looks good but I am a little tenuous of getting an ASUS board because of the issue around the 16 phase power and the fact that they seem to kill D9's. Do not know if this is an older ASUS issue or not, so an alleviation of my fears will be necessary if you recommend a cheaper ASUS board

Thanks For the help.

Have you considered the P5Q Deluxe? This board is very nice and has an amazing amount of tweaks...I'm still drooling over it.

i was gonna say the same as T, otherwise other good choices to replace the Ip35-pro is the P5Q-E or P5Q-Pro...

Looks like a great board.

16 phase is sex@h...

The P5Q has no history of kiling D9s? Thats about my only question for this :)

Thanks

I've never heard of a board killing a specific chip'd memory...

Google does not reveal much other then this thread LOL (how is that for quick spidering :) ) but, a friend of mine has "A stack of ram that ASUS killed" and I know I have heard others complain of it as well. My boards have had no problems running the GHMs but I have not had an asus board since socket 939.

It is an ASUS thing because the sticks run fine on his other board..once he puts them in the ASUS, they run great for about a day then bam dead sticks.

If it was just him I would suggest that his DIMM vrms are toasted or something... but as I said I know I have seen others bring it up.

I will give it a try though :) RAM has lifetime warranty :) and a lot of people really like the ASUS 775 boads. (oh im wrong, I ran a p5kc for about ... 2 weeks. Got rid of it quick though, just not enough features for me. But it was very cheap...)

Back