• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Im Stuck Between 2 MotherBoards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MolexSnake

they are

the DFI LANParty LT X48-T2R

and

the Asus P5E3 Premium WiFi-AP@n

now the Asus is open box but i have had good experience with open box stuff at newegg i have 3 open box motherboards before all of them came with everything in the original packaging too except the I/O Plate which is annoying to say the least.

my question to you is what would be the best choice for me

i want to be able to just upgrade the motherboard rather then replacing it.
i like the style of DFI and all it just looks sleek. i was wondering can the DFI board do 16x/16x to. if you had the choice which one would you pick. the DFI can do 16x/16x/4x i think?

my specs are going to be as fellows

intel Q6600
G skill 4GB ( 4x1 ) in duel chan mode
2x ATI Radeon HD 4850 in crossfire maybe add a 3rd 1 later

another question is 4 sticks of 1gb in duel chan mode better then 2gb in duel channel mode?

Last edited:
I'm not sure about using 3 PCI-E GPUs unfortunately.

Given a choice, I'll definitely go with the DFI. They have very good FSB clocks and great BIOS.

Also, the dfi is ddr2 while the asus is ddr3. That isn't a very fair comparison :)

2GB sticks often have lower bandwidth and higher latancy. So it sounds good to go with 4X1GB. However, it may cause too much stress on the motherboard, lowering the CPU oc. What cooling are you using? If it's a custom made wc, then stick with 2X2GB.

i would take the asus one but not a open box. yes they are both going to be 16/16 for cf, its the way the chipset was designed. as far as 2x2 vs 4x1, i would have to tip my hat to 2x2. as the nb gets stressed a bit more with a 4x1 setup, has to run looser memory sub-timings. what confuses me is you state you have 4x1 for spec but ask the question. i wouldnt put much thought into it since you already have the ram. your not going to notice any peformanca loss in games vs 2x2 setup for ram.

*edit*
here is the Asus X48 DDR2 board
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131317

no those are my future specs this is my 2nd rig im building

why would you go with the asus board and not the DFI?

Noo! take the DFI :p It hits 600mhz on quad with liquid nitrogen.

Yeah, unless you bench, you won't see a major difference.

Can you tri fire? meaning 2 on X16 and 1 on X4?

Edit: Added some reviews

533mhz QX6700: http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/1408/5/page_5_bios_and_overclocking/index.html
527mhz E8500: http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/15508-post26.html (@ http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/reviews/3122-dfi-lt-x48-t2r-lanparty-living-review.html)

The main thing I like about DFI is the extensive and often complicated BIOS option. This enables you to get optimum performance however, so I think the time spent is worthwhile.

Last edited:
correct that is what i ment

wish i could have someone think for me...don't know which one to pick..which one will give me better performance over
and lets say that the price doesn't matter when talking between he two

lol great more choices lol :bang head its the last thing i need to decided before finish my build....

EDIT: i finally decided im going with the DFI Board going to take a chance if i dont like it i could always return it ..thanks for your help

I am also having the same problem. I was gonna go with an AMD 5400+ system, But i decided to go big and set my targets on an e8400. So now i'm looking for a good mobo and DFI looks good, but only DDR2 800? why not 1066? I'll be watching this thread closely so plz guys continue. I'll be building my pc at the end of July :D

PC8500 will work fine. It is just a spec on the box, if it doesn't happen to run that fast you can't call and complain but I seriously doubt you willhave a problem.

I am going to vote for the Asus. Unless you are going for an absolute max bench trying to get every last Mhz out of it, the DFI is just to much trouble IMHO. You will get 98% of the performance from the Asus without the headache of the BIOS. But if you enjoy the challenge then thats a different story. I guess its as much personal preference as anything, the actual performance will be very similar.

well i got my dfi today and all i can say is wow this is one sweet board, all the comments were right about the bois it takes a little work to get set up but after that it runs great

my new rig is super smooth and fast i like it alot

Right... I'm glad you like it. Enjoy while you can though! The first always gives the most excitement but subsequently, boring.

Just curious, you are going to oc right?

Hmm, I wonder if you want the gigabyte's d6 X48 or the rampage formula?

lol great more choices lol :bang head its the last thing i need to decided before finish my build....

EDIT: i finally decided im going with the DFI Board going to take a chance if i dont like it i could always return it ..thanks for your help

Btw, that's a joke :santa:. those 2 board are considered "top end" and are pretty pricey!

Back