• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

x38 or x48 with ddr2?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chrome-187

x38 or x48?

well i may be getting a new motherboard within a couple weeks and noticed that the x48 has ddr2 verison boards out..i intend on sticking with ddr2 for now cuz of the high prices of ddr3...so which would be the better o/cing board w/e cf enabled, the x38 or x48? or the same?

Last edited:
hello? is there anyone that can answer this question or does everybody not know? should i ask this in another forum?

They are, AFAIK, exactly the same chip, except for the BIOS. Many Asus Maximus Formula boards (X38) have been "upgraded" to X48 by installing a Rampage Formula BIOS.

little to no diff, but x48 tend to be more expensive.

DFI did the same the x38 and x48 Tr2 boards.. you can flash the x38 with the x48 bios.

ooooooo really......well if its simply due to the bios, why didnt' they just update the x38 bios to a newer version? that would make more sense right?...well thanks guys..now that i know this i guess i'll be looking at the cheaper x38's...

can the asus p5e x38 be flashed to the x48 bios?

If the boards have the same hardware and the only difference is the chipset being x48 instead of x38, then you can probably flash the x38 to an x48. Now if only I could flash my x48 to x58 and make it transform into an LGA1366 board :p

The x48s are just x38s that have been cherry picked to handle higher clocks. Unless you're doing some extreme overclocking, that won't matter for you. Go for the x38.

how do u change the topic name? i go advanced on the first post and change the title but it dont go thru?

You can't once it has been created. You'd have to PM a mod or "report" the post (
report.gif
button) so they can change it.

Back