• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Worth waiting for G43/G45/P45 mATX boards?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IWasHungry

I'm going to be taking my gaming computer building in a different direction this time around; I want to make it really small, starting with a mATX board.
Originally I was going to go for an ASUS P5K-VM (a G33 board), but then I read articles saying that P45, and thus G43 and G45 would be out soon. They look like they could be a good investment
1)Smaller northbridge die --> Less power consumption
2)PCIe 2.0 slot
3)Newer tech

Problem is, they keep getting pushed back. It's the end of June and they're still not available, with some people saying they won't be around until late July or August. I want to get things rolling after my next paycheck arrives July 11th, but I suppose I could wait another week or two

On top of that, I hear that G43/G45 really isn't gonna be great because it's focused toward media centers, not gamers. I read something about the PCIe 2.0 being restricted to 8x or even 4x on some of these boards?

The only board in development I'm aware of that without a question will fit my needs is the DFI LP JR P45-T2RS:
2ad76505.jpg

(Yes it's a P45-based mATX board)

But I'm sure that motherboard would run me up $200. Given the ASUS P5K-VM costs $100, I would get the ASUS despite the drawbacks.

Also, if anybody else is interested, I did some research to determine the names of some of the other new mATX boards:
Intel DG45ID
Asus P5Q-EM HDMI
Gigabyte GA-G45M-DS2H
Gigabyte GA-EG45M-DS2M
MSI G45M
MSI G43M2
Foxconn G45MG
Foxconn G45M-S
Foxconn G43M-K
Foxconn G43M-S
ECS G45T-M2
(I'll add more as I come across them. If you guys know of others let me know so I can add to this list)

Any word on whether these boards are worth waiting over?

Last edited:
ocing on these should be alot better then G3x line... i would say they are worth it since the onboard graphics can do hardware decoding for HD/BlueRay so no need for addon card. G4x line will run cooler then G3x so i say that is worth it too.

i would say they are worth it since the onboard graphics can do hardware decoding for HD/BlueRay so no need for addon card.
No serious gamer would use onboard video, so honestly I couldn't care less about how revolutionary the G45 onboard video is. Nobody takes mATX gaming seriously, and so 99% of mATX boards have integrated graphics. That's fine with me, as long as it can overclock almost as well as a good ATX board.
I just got an HD4850 a week ago, that's what I'll be using for a while. :burn:

Back in the day...I ran a DFI RS-482 or something...939 mATX board with the same capability of an Ultra-D...dual core opteron...x1900XTX...all WC'ed...that was a BEAST of a gamer for mATX.

hungry,
i didnt say anything about gaming... i was simply refering to the video playback. your reading more into my post then what i meant.

that DFI would be the first CF board since the abit/ecs 945 board. would be cool to have cf in a matx setup....

ok ya thats a fuggin HOT matx board... p45 based ooo wow thats sweet, maybe just maybe ill give up my Lian Li V2000b for something smaller... hmmm naw wtf am i thinkin :p

Back