• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me Clock a GA965 and 6600 Quad core

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

clinker42

Registered
Hi Guys,
Im hoping you guys can help me, I have been reviewing old posts and all the overclocking articles but Im not really that smart.

I have a 6600 quad core, GA 965P DS3P, Bios F6H, 4 GIG of dominator pc2-6400 (400 mhz) 8500 CFD, some extra case fans and one off those really big CPU fans Toms Hardware recommended

I have learned about the Multiplier (9) and FSB (335) and thats about all i can understand without someone actually explaining, I get confused when you guys then start talking about set that too. So I set the multiplier too 9, FSB too 335 and the CPU Voltage too 1.4500. Cn someone who has one off these boards tell me what else I have too change too make it work as it wont boot like that.

I used Easytune 6 and have it running at 3.1 and it works great. Just I would rather do it like you gurus in the Bios.

Any help would be really really appreciated as I am bloody old and the brain isnt like it used too be.

Thanks again
Trevor

:welcome: to the forums!

First, there is no way we can know what to set it to. All hardware is completely different, even if they were next to each other in the assembly line. You will have to test for yourself.

Second, I would recommend starting at stock speeds (266 fsb, 9x multi) and slowly (5-10 fsb) up the FSB until it isn't completely stable.

Example: You start at 266 fsb and start upping it slowly, testing for stability with THIS program running "small FFT". Lets say, at 320 fsb the computer boots into Windows, but Prime95 fails about 5 minutes in, what do you do? You can try upping the vCore to see if it becomes stable, if it does last longer, keep testing. I like to do 20 mins once I find instability and have to up the vCore.

Be sure to watch the memory speeds, keeping it at or below stock settings so you know that isn't the issue. I would suggest reading some stickies if you haven't already along with threads with that specific motherboard. If you get stuck, post here and we can try to assist you :)

Remember, if you ever get it to not boot at all, reset the CMOS.

Dont adjust the vcore unless the system is unstable. That is the first mistake new OCers do. They think that because they are OCing they NEED to up the vcore a lot.

Did you read through this thread?

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=515316

OCing is more than just telling someone how to do it. You shouldnt be trying it until you understand at least the minimal settings needed to OC and what they do.

Hi Guys
Thanks for the replies, its nice off you too help me. I just read that article, excellent, no where else could I have found that info.

Anways, I went back into my BIOS and loaded the defaults so I could start again, cleaned the hard drive and registry etc etc.

First job I did was too set the memory too the Corsair specs, 5-5-5-15. Saved and rebooted and all worked great.

So next I thought Id take the FSB up too 280. So I enabled the CPU Host Freq and set it too 280, 9 x 280 = 2520. Saved this and rebooted and same as usual, reboot gets too bios and then reboots itself again. Go back into the BIOS and it has disabled the CPU host freq and put it back too 266.

I did what you both said, left the VCORE at BIOS specs and made not one other change. I try it again on 270 and it still wont take it.

Am i missing something in that link.

Trev

Hmm, go into the bios and check the health status. Should be a section where it shows the voltages. Post them up. I have a feeling it reboots becasue it's underpowered.

Speaking of underpowered, what power supply are you using?

Hi

As follows

DDR 18V
3.3V
12 V

Doesnt say what the other voltages go too. Im running a Thermaltake 750 watt cable management power supply.

Out off Interest, i loaded the optimum defaults again, downloaded EasyTune 6 andhave taken it up too 3.0 GHZ and played Forged Alliance for 3 hrs. Never failed and I could tell it was running quicker. So does that mean theres a setting in the BIOS thats stopping me from clocking it there. I have read that article again and I went the really safe route, left everything as stock and then took the FSB from 266 too 268 and bingo, the stupid bloody thing re booted again and disabled the FSB and put it back too 266. I even downloaded the BIOS (F6H) again and re flashed it. Still no difference. Put the memory settings back too default and still same deal.

**** I dont wanna buy a 3 GIG quad core lol, they are $1200.

For sale, one cheap PC LOL.

Thanks Trev

Dang, I'm cunfuzed :confused:

Ok, go to the bios section where it shows all the voltages:

Cpu Vcore
Ram
VTT
NB/SB

I cannot seem to find any pics of the bios for your board, so it's dificult for me to see what settings are there.

Yes, there's something in the bios that's preventing you from ocing. I have a DFI Infinity 975X/G board, so I would think the settings are similair, except you have a quad, whereas I only have a Prescott single core in it.

Also if easytune works for you, then use it for now until we can find the cause .

Beta? Hrm.... Its possible that could be a problem. Whats the latest non beta version?

F6h:2008/03/20

1. beta bios
2. Enable 45nm CPU with non official support, due to Intel having no official guarantee for 45nm CPUs on non-3 series chipsets

F6d:2007/12/03

1. beta BIOS
2. update CPU ID

F5:2007/04/26 (Looks to be that last official bios)
1. Fix PCI-E overclock issue
2. Support Intel E6420 & E6320 CPU

On the Cpu Support List, it looks like it doesn't support the Q9450:

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/CPUSupport_Model.aspx?ProductID=2418

There's the problem :-/

i dont have a quad on it but my dual e6600 on that same board with the same bios is at 3.6 atm its a very good board good luck with it

Thanks Guys

I didnt know thats how they did the BIOS, Thought that you just downloaded the latest BIOS and it had the changes off the previous ones plus the new changes, as per usual software updates.
Anyway, as you pointed out Neb, for the Q6600 QUAD, the official BIOS version is F5, so I downloaded that and flashed the Bios and ran CPUZ and now its on F5.
Problem is its doing exactly the same thing, change only the FSB from 266 too 270 and it reboots and sesets the BIOS.
God if I have too I will buy a new board.

Neb, I have gone through the BIOS and through the Gigabyte manual and there isnt anywhere in there that lists the voltage like your. It does have a part where those voltages are listed but it doesnt tell you what the voltages are it just gives you the option too increase them by .0025 increments.

Thanks again Trev

Last edited:
Dang. Sry bro, but looks like that board will not support your chip. This is why it'll only run stock, but once oc'ed it'll reboot and reset itself.

If you want to run your Quad, you'll have to get a new mobo.

Bummer, thanks anyway then Neb

I was plannning on upgrading anyway so i can run two graphics cards.

What do you suggest as a bit off a platform, I want too keep the current CPU Q6600 and Ram, Corsair 8500 C5D.

My plan was too get a new board and two Zotac overclocked 8800 gts and run them SLI or get one ATI 4870 but get a Crossfire board so i could add another 4870 later when i get some more funds. I have read the reviews about the 8800 gts in SLI and they where up with the best card around but over here in Australia i can get two for $400 and a top range card is $900.
So which way would you go.

Thanks again Trevor

which voltages are u asking about? i have this exact board and am 99% sure it supports quads and it def supports overclocking

which voltages are u asking about? i have this exact board and am 99% sure it supports quads and it def supports overclocking

I too have one of those M/B and it does say supports Quads

Holy crapola! :eek: I totally borked out on this one. Here I had thought all this time you had a Q9450, when I reread the post and you have a Q6600 :bang head.

Yes it does support the Q6600 with the F5 bios.

You folks are correct. My apologies.

Hi Guys

Ye you did Neb, But dont worry about it, I went and checked the Bios versions again and downloaded F5, F6d and F6H.

I flashed the Bios with each version and evrytime went in and tried various changes, then restarted. With every Bios version and every change, it will not accept 1 MHZ increase in the FSB. I even tried starting it with the 2nd Bios (dual Bios board) and still exactly the same thing, I changed voltage, i kept it standard, I changed memory speeds and kept it standard, I have changed from one setting too a thousand in all variabilities and still the same.

Reboots and disables the FSB.

So I cracked the poops today and ordered the following

ASUS Rampage Formulae.
WD VelociRaptor 300 gig
WD 6400 AAKS.

So that will arrive in 2 - 3 DAYS

Will install my Corsair DDR2 8500 C5D5 (4 GIG), Q6600, and 8800 GTS XXX edition.

Do a clean install of windows onto the VelociRaptor and install all my other crap onto the 6400 AAKS.

Then hopefully I can overclock the Q6600 too 3 - 3.2 gig.

What do you guys think. My plan then is too save for 6 weeks and get an ATI 4870 512 DDR5 and run that and then save another 6 weeks and get another one and crossfire them.

Then save up for an extreme 3 gig processor.

Can you see any shortfalls with that new system.

Trev

Back