• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

{Switchin' ovah} Tired of NV chipset and looking to Crossfire~!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

krag

Classifieds Moderator
Welp, I am tired of the NV Intel SLI chipset cold war and am in need of some warmer Crossfire action. I have a Visiontek 4850 on its way to meh and will be replacing mymuch aged eVGA 680i mobo. Its been good and nice and stable yet I am itching for some Intel service.

In the near furture: Nehalem CPU, DDR-3 (has come down nicely in price lately), new mobo.

I will be keeping the 1k wtt Silverstone..(might just get a 2nd PSU incase)
2 x 74g 16mb Rappies
1 x 320 Seagate
1 x ViperJohn special 400w CPU water cooling system

This is the mobo I am currently looking at...ASUS P5E3 PREMIUM/WIFI-AP @n LGA 775 DDR3 Intel X48 ATX

Yeah, the price sucks but...what else is there to equal it?

If you're gonna be getting Nehalem later on, I would just stick to DDR2 for now. No point in buying 2 super expensive parts now. Get the Asus Rampage Formula and a good clocking DDR2 kit. Then when you transition to Nehalem, the price of DDR3 will have dropped even more.

If you are going to stay with just the 4850 in x-fire and res < 1920 x 1200 then a P45 will be just fine, Asus P5Q/Pro for around $150 or so.

If you want to go with the bigger brother 4870 you'll need full dual 16 x lanes , so a X38 or X48 board will do the job nicely. I have had both the Asus Maximus Formula and Rampage Formula and they are just great.

Agree with Ghost on the DDR2 vs DDR3, I actually benched DDR2 against DDR2 with a 790i and 780i board and the difference was not that great, did not justify the rather big price difference for sure.

Thanks fellas for the feedback . sorry I din'tmention this earlier. I intend to upgrade my X-fire to 2 x 4780x2 to give me 4 GPUs in X-fire...eventually. I like the idea of getting the x48 Asus Rampage due to my 8gigs of Corsair DDR-2 I have here. Is the Rampage 2x2.0 pci-e X-fire (i.e 2 full 16x pci-e lanes)? Do I have it right?

the rampage is a good board, one of the only things about it that i dont like, is that i cant really put any fans over my ram useing my u120x. i have an old s939 fan, hanging precariously off the bottom of my gtx with a twist tie in an effort to keep em cool. might have to go with a diff cpu cooler.. or just run low volts to the stix.. but thats no fun :(

its an awsome board tho :thup:

Yeah, looks like the Asus Rampage is the one.

BTW, the ViperJohn custom 400w water cooler cost me $600 3 yrs ago. He last told me that he doesn't make them anymore because its costs more in labor to make them. It has servedme well ever since. It was initially designed for one of his SLI 24v TEC volt modded setups. Works killer on a 6700-XE quad

Dang bro...that is a nice looking board!

shrug...I know money's no object for Kraig but since he's got the 8 gigs of DDR2 might as well put it to use while he can. :p

Also Maxi sorta struggled with the DFI...I think he's still waiting on a new BIOS chip from them since the shipping BIOS got corrupted.

Velp, Asus Rampage was just bought from the egg. LOL, looking forward to it! My ATI 4850 should be here tomorrow. Won't get the mobo till Monday...dadgum UPS 3 day service...yeah right!

Come on 4870X2~~~~!

Yes thats exactly what I am planning to do

Back