• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

noob question about socket LGA775 mobos

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tony4025

Registered
If a mobo supports socket LGA 775, does that mean I can use any CPU on it as long as the CPU is socket 775? regardless of FSB?

Welcome to O/C Forums :welcome:

The answer is yes. Providing, of course, the mobo has the appropriate bios to support said cpu :) Most mobos support all the 775's, but some boards do not. The specs sheet will show what cpus are supported by what board.

Welcome to O/C Forums :welcome:

The answer is yes. Providing, of course, the mobo has the appropriate bios to support said cpu :) Most mobos support all the 775's, but some boards do not. The specs sheet will show what cpus are supported by what board.

Well thx for the welcome :)

but I don't get your reply. First you said "yes", then you turn around and say it depends on the bios and some mobos don't support all 775's.

So what is the real answer? yes? or depends on mobo?

Ok to be precise:

Most all mobos supports 775 chips. There are mobos that state they will support X chip, but does not unless it has the lastest bios to recognise and support X chip.

Other mobos state they will support X, Y & G chips, but do not, even with the new bios.

That clear it up for you? :)

Ok to be precise:

Most all mobos supports 775 chips. There are mobos that state they will support X chip, but does not unless it has the lastest bios to recognise and support X chip.

Other mobos state they will support X, Y & G chips, but do not, even with the new bios.

That clear it up for you? :)

yes, if you consider using "X,Y, G" as being clear, then I guess it's clear lol

I'm guessing the X, Y and G represent different brands of 775 chips?

Theres only one brand of 775 chips and that's intel.
It's usually the circuit layouts that differ between chips (conroe, wofldale).
And the number of core's also differentiates them.

If you have a cpu and a motherboard that you're curious if they'll work, just post it here and we'll explain why/why not.

Theres only one brand of 775 chips and that's intel.

When I said "brand", obviously I was referring more specifically to different Intel CPU's, like core 2 duo, Pentium D, Pentium 4, celeron, etc.

Unless your using an extremely old 775 board (2 Yrs+), you're probably fine with any 775 chip.

You can find out easily when you decide what chip you want by looking up the board on a site like NewEgg, or even the manufacturers site.

Alright, let me just remind you of the title:

I'm well aware of what my title is. I don't need a reminder. Those CPU's I named are all socket 775. So I don't know where you're getting at with that statement..

Unless your using an extremely old 775 board (2 Yrs+), you're probably fine with any 775 chip.
How about using an extremely old 775 chip on a new 775 board?

I'm going in the "im trying to help you in the least ammount of posts" direction.

For christ's sake, I didn't know what level you are at, and the title told me to treat you like a noob, which is why I clarified the "brand" comment.

So to answer you question: yes. And the FSB at stock will run at the slow speed.

Mainly it is the old boards you'll have to question about supporting a certain processor. Some older chipsets don't support multi-core chips (such as those based on the intel 915 chipset), some boards may not support all 45nm processors (such as some older nvidias), some socket 775 boards may be so old that they physically cannot support Core 2-based processors, some boards may not support a processor until a specific BIOS revision is released...etc. Mostly it depends on the age of the board. Best thing to do is what wa77ss says, go to the board's manufacturer website and read the specifications. The specs will tell you exactly which processors are supported, which ones aren't supported, and which ones are supported with a BIOS update.

Back