• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking at some MicroATX boards for QX6850

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OBLIVIONLORD

Asus P5K-VM and P5-E-VM HDMI...

These seem great but, I don't see anywhere in the manual where you could increase or decrease the CPU multiplier.

Out of these 2 boards it seems that the P5E-VM has more ocing options in general. They both take Quad Penryns just if I don't decide on the QX6850.

So any thoughts on these and possibly others?

1 last question... are these boards official at 1600fsb or will it be considered overclocking the NB in order to achieve the 400fsb in the bios?

Thanks

I would deffinently wait on that board if you want to take advantage of CF.

Personally, I don't think it's worth the wait for me considering the 2 boards I mentioned above are already excellent oc'ers.

i would go with the P5E-VM HDMI. i'm doing research right now for my sff build and this board is the best you can get right now. there is a nice long post over at [H] on it.

in the post people talk about lowering the multis on their CPUs. i would say yes you can. or if you can wait a week, i'll let you know :p

H LInk

I would deffinently wait on that board if you want to take advantage of CF.

Personally, I don't think it's worth the wait for me considering the 2 boards I mentioned above are already excellent oc'ers.

well CF is on the matx P45 board, i dont see G43/G45 doing CF. the only reason i say wait for G4x is that it will run cooler the G3x. as well as being better for ocing. the best G3x ocing board is no longer sold, it came from gigabyte. i looked at the asus one but i kept reading complaints on XS about mem divider not working or not enough selection. i forget which its been a long time...

the best G3x ocing board is no longer sold, it came from gigabyte.

*points to signature* :p

I'd wait a few weeks for the new offerings. I've heard there'll be mATX boards for both CF and SLI. Pretty silly to buy anything at all this close to a new generation's release :)

well CF is on the matx P45 board, i dont see G43/G45 doing CF. the only reason i say wait for G4x is that it will run cooler the G3x. as well as being better for ocing. the best G3x ocing board is no longer sold, it came from gigabyte. i looked at the asus one but i kept reading complaints on XS about mem divider not working or not enough selection. i forget which its been a long time...

I was making mention of the CF feature in the DFI LP JR P45-T2RS board which was pictured in that thread.

I'm sure these new micro p45 based boards will also have their issues. Some are just more extreme than others. I'm sure that Gigabyte board didn't come perfectly without flaws.

Just my thoughts.

well all im saying is just wait a bit... keep your options open.. its only a week or 2 tops for G43/G45 to hit newegg.

Outside of PCI-E 2.0 and CF support... if the only advantage of the new chipset is to run cooler then to me that isn't a plausible reason to buy this over the existing product since in my specific situation with the QX6850, I'm simply going to just increase the multiplier instead of the FSB to overclock. If there really is a mem divider issue or not enough selection then that's an issue for someone else. If I really want to get nit picky with speeds then I'll keep it at the stock 9x and increase the FSB slowly since even when oc'ed at 400x9 it's still within the capabilities of the chipset.

What I probably will do now since you got me thinking about this is wait for the new mATX boards to show and hope the existing mATX boards like this Asus will go down in price. If the newer boards are reasonably priced then I'll consider them at the time.

Yes I will deffinently wait :)

Back