• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Old i915 OCing problem, after lying unused for almost a year.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Freezer7Pro

Today, I removed my old P4 from m P35 board, and slammed it into my old i915G board, to prepare for my new arrival (E7200), later this week.

I remember going up to 3.8GHz on this board, when I first got it. However, I can't seem to get past 240FSB and 3.6GHz this time. I even put some PC6400 RAM in it, to ensure that it isn't my crappy RAM that's causing it, but the problem remains.

What could've caused this? The board has been lying in it's box for almost a year, untouched, unused. Could a board degrade over time, just like that?

Any tips to get some more juice of this old fighter would be greatly appreachiated. The board is, more specifically, an MSI 915G Combo.

Well, could be needing a bios update. Remember sitting in a box for a year and you're slapping in a modern cpu.

could try clearing cmos and make sure you have a good power supply on it
Rich
CMOS was cleared when I put it in the box, I always remove the battery for long-term storage. The PSU I'm using is an ASUS 300w with 18+18A, 22A total. That's 4A more total than the PSU I used with it the last time. I also don't even have a video card, except from the integrated one, right now, so power is not an issue.
Well, could be needing a bios update. Remember sitting in a box for a year and you're slapping in a modern cpu.

It's the last BIOS that was released for it. And the CPU is the same one I used a year ago. :-/ Same goes for RAM. The only difference is the lack of graphics card, and a SATA HD replaced by an IDE one.

Back