• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS P5Q and Yorkfield: Compatible?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

badpvtdan

Registered
So, I haven't built a new machine in about seven years and now I remember why :)

I have an ASUS P5Q motherboard and a Yorkfield Q9300 processor. I am getting nothing....zilch...nada...when I turn on the power. I tried w/peripherals and without. No POST codes whatsoever. My question is...will the BIOS that comes with the P5Q work out-of-the-box with the Q9300? Would that cause this to happen?

All I get are the fans and lights but nothing else. Thanks for your attention and I apologize if this is supposed to go somewhere else.

Danny
Austin, TX

:welcome: to the forums. Sorry your first post has to be related to a problem. This forum is an excellent place to post your question.

The P5Q should work with the Q9300, out of the box.

Have you tried with only one stick memory and then the other? (I assume you've got two sticks.) Also move each stick from one slot to another.

If it still doesn't boot (at least to the point you can enter the bios), I would say to RMA the board. If you've just bought it that is probably through your e-seller.

Good luck. :beer:

EDIT: I would also suggest you give a summary of your system components in a signature. It saves lots of questions regarding your components.

Last edited:
my first thought is a possible grounding issue. removed the mobo from case, go min no what you have. ie only cpu/1 stick of ram/video card in the mobo. then makes sure all the devices that need it are plugged in to the psu. P5Q's aka P45 boards all have support for 45nm cpus out of the box including the Q9300. now if you want to make sure use a older cpu such a "netburst" based celeron cpu.

As DP said system specs would help in figuring out the issue.

Aha, I had the EXACT same problem with my P5Q Deluxe this weekend, I got the cold sweats and thought the board was deffective. this happened after a CPU swap....the culprit was the RAM, and it was ballistix again, Asus boards ar notorius to have issues with ballistix due to high startup voltage.

I put G'Skills in there and it started like a porche, issue solved. Use some cheap 1.8 v default RAM and go set the correct DRAM voltage in Bios.

Hope this helps

Wow, thank yall so much for the help. I have tried with and without memory and in several different slots. I don't think I mentioned it but I also tried using a different mobo....one that came free with the cpu and the psu wouldn't even stay on when I tried that.

As you can see, I do have GSkill memory so I am not sure that helps...I would assume I would still get POST codes without the memory if that was the problem? My next thought was to RMA the board. Actually, I was going to buy a cheap Celeron if I needed to update the BIOS but if it should work out of the box I guess RMA is my next, best option?

Thanks so much for the help guys. You feel kind of alone when you do this and it doesn't work!

The process you're trying is pretty much what I often do for trouble shooting, i.e. exchange parts.

Last step on your way to RMA something: Take all the cards out (video etc), disconnect all drives, take out the memory -- all to the point you have only 3 components (the motherboard, PSU and CPU) and it won't boot to an error code then the problem is in one of those 3. You've tried a different motherboard so the problem more likely is with the PSU or CPU. (I say more likely because the chances of both motherboards being bad while possible is not high probability.) You got spares or a friend with spares?

Last edited:
I don't think my friends have spare parts laying around but I may be able to cannibalize a PSU and I did have a thought of buying a cheap Celeron to test. The good news is that I bought the cpu at Frys and should be able to return that pretty easily. I'll let you guys know what I come up with over the weekend.

ok you liked the ram but what model? ie PC2-6400 2GPK, is what im running. then if you take the cpu to fry's and tell them you think the cpu is dead. they will test it on the bench to make sure it works. after that yea a cheap cpu to check out the board for just incase.

ok so the memory isnt the issue, if its the model im thinking of, it comes with powerchip ic's. they have no issues booting up with 1.8v.... not sure where else to go until a new cpu is tried in the system, like a older celeron.

It's almost never the CPU take out the ram and setup board,cpu,video, power supply and see if you get beeps.

OK....Is your power supply known good? Can you try a different one just for the hell of it?

OK....Is your power supply known good? Can you try a different one just for the hell of it?

The PSU causes the lights and fans to go on but that is it. I don't get anything from the drives or anything else. Now, when I tried the PSU with the other mobo...power just flared briefly and went out.

I am buttering up the wife to go get a cheap CPU to test but we'll see. She warned me about building another machine so I am not in good straits here.

lol me or the OP?

You, we've plowed that ground in terms of identifying same points you're making. Read the thread, catch up and then jump right in. Your asking good questions and I'm sure can provide additional productive thoughts and suggestions! :beer:

for the record you can kill cpus just as easy as motherboards when setting them up. esp if you live in a area where static electricity can be built up very easy.

based on what the OP has stated the only things really left to test are video card and a different cpu. if the motherboard was bad no fans would power up if they are plugged directly into the board. harddrives would still spin up as well as cd-dvd rom drives since they get power right from the psu. which since he stated they dont spin up does partialy lead me to the psu. Im still going to go with what i suggested...

Dan,
i would come over and help tomorrow but im leaving tonight to go to Tennesse for a week. i have lots of umm spare parts... LOL

Dan,
i would come over and help tomorrow but im leaving tonight to go to Tennesse for a week. i have lots of umm spare parts... LOL

Ha! I certainly appreciate the offer anyway :) I think my best bet would be to get the cheap PSU and Celeron from Frys tomorrow and see if that works. I may even keep them so I can have spare parts for next time!

Back